Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Why don\'t you watch boxing?

[ QUOTE ]
isn't MMA just a basic streetfight? Its not gonna have the bobbing and weaving of boxing right?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

lol why don't you actually watch some MMA?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:13 PM

i like both, but i've never seen anything in mma that comes close to gatti/ward barrera/morales.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM

i watch as much as i can stomache but not a lot.

Indy
Old 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like both, but i've never seen anything in mma that comes close to gatti/ward barrera/morales.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not very knowledgeable about boxing, so I have to ask: What about those fights transcends anything you've seen in MMA? Skill? Excitement? Drama? Atmosphere?

Is it possible those fights were more enjoyable for you because you have a greater understanding or interest in boxing than MMA? I don't mean that to come off as an accusation or something, as I definitely am the other way around.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
isn't MMA just a basic streetfight? Its not gonna have the bobbing and weaving of boxing right?

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to check out a glorified street fight, try and find some Rio Heroes. It's a relatively new promotion that has like 3 rules (something like no strikes to the groin, no eye gouging, and something else). MMA is as much a "streetfight" as boxing is.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not very knowledgeable about boxing, so I have to ask: What about those fights transcends anything you've seen in MMA? Skill? Excitement? Drama? Atmosphere?

Is it possible those fights were more enjoyable for you because you have a greater understanding or interest in boxing than MMA? I don't mean that to come off as an accusation or something, as I definitely am the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are not fights that a boxing degen like myself would call "skillful"...actually among the boxing nuts i run with, these are the fights that we like the least. The gatti/ward was famous because of the heart that both fighters showed. The barrera/pacquiao fights are cool because of the nations that they represent and because in the first fight pacquiao came outta nowhere like a beast to upset barrera.

Very good fighters that exhibit skill in today's fight game are J Taylor, F Mayweather, M Cotto, Paul Willians, Pavlik etc etc

Indy
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

nothing has come close to leonard/hearns/hagler/duran - i was just giving some more recent stuff. and mayweather is the bomb, but when you have noone to fight you can't ever really be appreciated.

the fact that anyone now thinks pavlik is something special just demonstrates the current state of boxing.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:38 PM

lapoker,

pavlik is a very legit fighter....i've followed the fight game carefully for years and its rare to see a guy almost knocked out cold in the second round come back, get his head back in the fight, and knock out an undefeated middleweight champion in round 7. pavlik is not the most finessed fighter, but there is no question that his jabs and right crosses are solid and that his heart is HUGE. I'd say Pavlik has the biggest heart and resiliency in boxing today.

Indy
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pavlik is a very legit fighter....i've followed the fight game carefully for years and its rare to see a guy almost knocked out cold in the second round come back, get his head back in the fight, and knock out an undefeated middleweight champion in round 7. pavlik is not the most finessed fighter, but there is no question that his jabs and right crosses are solid and that his heart is HUGE. I'd say Pavlik has the biggest heart and resiliency in boxing today.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah dude i agree with most of this IN TODAY'S BOXING WORLD. that's my whole point.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

I am big fan of both. I follow MMA a bit closer these days, but have been a boxing fan since I was little.

Like others I would say boxings major problem is its marketing and promotion. The main problem I see is boxing has such a hard time building young talent.

Without real undercards on PPVs its near impossible for younger guys to get any sort of notoriety. All they can do is have their sketchy promoters put them against cans till they are 20-0 then hope they can win a fight against a former champ. Then half the time they are thrust into a PPV main event when no one knows who they are and no one buys it.

Ill also agree that boxing is taking a huge hit because of the lack of heavyweight talent. And that coming from guys choosing other sports over boxing. I do think this can be somewhat fixed though, with a governing body and unification of belts. A singular champ and regulation along with support for gyms in low income areas could so a lot to help boxing.

That being said I still think boxing is an incredible sport and a ton of fun to watch and participate it. Plus its ability to unify a community is amazing. I work for a local mma website and our main goal is just to get that community feel that boxing used to have (and still does in some places). There is such a mystique that goes with the toughest guys come from my city.

Ohh yeah..And bring back Friday night fights on one of the major networks (not HBO, SHO, or ESPN). Let De La Hoya/Kellerman/and an old school guy do it or some combination of well spoken and popular guys. Show PPV worthy fights every few months and show retro fight from guys like Willie Pep and old Ali fights.