Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Some bluffsĦ

My game is fairly off at the moment (by which I mean I'm on a downswing) which has me finding myself in positions I don't usually get into. I'm honestly not too sure how retarded some of this is. They could just be unnecessarily aggressive. These are the biggest bluffs I ran today. Obviously none of them are my standard line for the given situations.

It seems like the more passive approach would probably be best in the first two.

1) Villain is a TAG (on the tighter side). Do I fold out enough here? I'm calling a shove.

No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $1371
UTG+1: $406
CO: $956.70
Button: $865.10
SB: $364
BB: $400

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $14</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $48</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($102, 2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($102, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $72</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $242</font> (there's a little over 500 left to go in after this)

2) Villain is yet another tighter than usual TAG. I'm pretty sure he'll bet the flop w/100% of his range. Again I'm going to call if he shoves (this one seems pretty close though). I decided to float the flop, but should I bet when I draw good on the turn?

4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $80
Hero: $615.10
SB: $140
BB: $840.60

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $18</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $56</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($118, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $90</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($298, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $150</font> (there's a little over 300 less to go in after this)

3) Villain is on the looser side of TAG (like 22/20 or something). I'm pretty sure he has a flush here. I intended to make this play when I called the turn (obviously I could have some outs too). Usually I'd just fold.

Side question: what if he checked the river? That seems like the worst situation, as I can't seem him c/f this river?

5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $400
Hero: $537.80
Button: $1086.30
SB: $546.30
BB: $1881.80

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $14</font>, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($30, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $28</font>, BB calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($86, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $65</font>, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($216, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $145</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $430.8</font>
Old 10-26-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Some bluffsĦ

Hand 1: I like postflop, not really sure about pf though, i think i'd just fold most of the time unless he has some gaping holes postflop. could see myself being totally "wrong" on this one but you're pretty much calling pf here with 20% equity against his range, not really sure you can make it up enough postflop.

Flop in hand 2 is gross. just b/c he bets the flop w/ 100% of his range doesn't mean his range doesn't have you CRUSHED and is not folding. i'd check the turn like always and play pretty straightforward on the river prolly. he probably has QdQx KdKx and isn't folding.

Jesus, fold turn in hand 3. these hands are really, really spewy. also, you put him on a flush on a relatively undangerous board and proceed to try and bluff him off it??? wtf
Old 10-26-2007, 12:30 AM

Hand 1 his pf range is definitely wider than QQ+, although I know I said he was tight. AK/QQ+ might not be far off though. I called because we're deep, but this could be wrong, esp OOP.

H2 you just fold at all opportunities? Is it an option between folding preflop or calling and raising any flop (rather than floating)? My problem preflop of course is that AQ is a monster compared to my range for raising here.

I know the turn is a fold in H3. I'm wondering if the river bluff can be at all +EV. You say the board isn't dangerous, do you mean you'd like the 3 or 5 to be a T or a K before you'd try something like this?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 AM

hand 2, it doesnt really matter what your raising range is there, all that matters is his reraising range, which is sufficiently small. i know youre in a squeeze spot etc etc but his 3betting amt is not conducive to a resteal and if hes on the tighter side of tag i doubt he is getting imaginative here. i'd prob call pf but you have to let it go after that.

hand 3, by not dangerous i mean that if he has a flush he is losing to aj/aa/33/jj, which dont make up that many hand combos, so he is probably calling you.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 2, it doesnt really matter what your raising range is there, all that matters is his reraising range, which is sufficiently small. i know youre in a squeeze spot etc etc but his 3betting amt is not conducive to a resteal and if hes on the tighter side of tag i doubt he is getting imaginative here. i'd prob call pf but you have to let it go after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right of course, except that these day even the tighter side of tag 3bets a lot of hands. I don't feel like I can just fold AQ to a single reraise but I can't see it being profitable to call either. I really suck in 3bet pots.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 AM

I suck at bluffing, but here goes:

1. great if he 3-bets very wide pf. other pf sux. turn looks good. EDIT: Oh, you called cuz you were deep? I really don't like pf then. OOP with a draw is bad enough, now ur oop with a draw and ur deep.
2. pf and flop call looks kinda gay. I guess you kinda rep 99/TT decently tho. I don't see much point though when you can just fold (or 4-bet vs right opponenets) pf.
3. I don't see any point to this. This flop looks good to check behind on the flop with and get some value if he is aggro too.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 AM

I think check calling the flop if he bet in hand one isn't bad if he has a tight range.

On the turn, I like a check call too.. If I was 100bb deep, I wouldn't mind leading. If you think villain is a tightfoldy type, then checkraising all in is cool too imo.

Seeing as how you're 200bb deep, I don't mind check calling and checkraising when you hit river because he will still value bet his overpairs on the river.

Wow, I think hand 1 is sick interesting.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:02 AM

Actually, now that I think about it.. if the villain is good your line isn't going to make much sense. Since you price yourself in for a shove (hopefully you have 15 outs and he doesn't have AhQh or QhQh - the latter I don't think he's shoving. Since you're OOP, you'll actually have a good spot on the river to bet out if you hit.

On the river, you're left with 573$ in a 596$ pot.

I don't think he's going to shove the turn a lot at all even unless he has lots of balls and can read your hand for what it mostly is.

God this hand has me spinning in circles.

If he don't think he's shoving very often though and if he does, I think a lot of his range consists of a turned high flush draw, maybe a badly played set (does he 3 bet 99 or 88?)
Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 AM

So what does my raise size on the turn say to you as villain? It clearly prices in a 33% draw, but it also allows us to get all in on the river for less than a PSB.

wrt him 3 betting 88 or 99, I don't have that specific a read. Assume that it's possible, but I can't really see it being too much of his range PF and even less so when he checks behind on the flop. OTOH I think it's conceivable that I could check the flop with one of them ... turn certainly less so from his POV and the fact that the board just got really drawy. However, I still assume that his range is mostly QQ+/AK and this range hasn't been helped much by the turn card.

I think my biggest problem with this hand is that (assuming I've already checked the turn) I know a call is +EV, so the raise has to have even more value for it to be worth while.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:37 PM

Why don't you do calc's to see about hand 1.
Put a hand range (and likelyhood for him having each type of hand given his flop check). For each hand in his range figure out what percent of the time he folds/calls/pushes and how often you hit the river.

I suspect that he folds a lot of hands here given his flop check behind and that he will see his reverse implied odds staring in his face. Also, pf sux if he is a tight 3-better, so a lot of this is kinda moot.