Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 03:20 AM

Default quick checkup: I get sexied

This is a simple hand. Online 6m game.

I open A6s from MP and get 3 bet by TAG in the SB. He is like 30/18/2 and probably knows I am decent. BB mucks we are HU.

Flop A84r

He bets, I call planning to calldown.

Turn is bricky, lets say 2

He bets, I call.

River is 9.

He checkraises me. Instamuck yeah?

Does it matter if the river pairs the board?
Old 07-21-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Re: quick checkup: I get sexied

call.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:25 AM

It depends how much you trust the guy. If you have ever seen him screwplay the turn with a draw, or if you have seen him bluff raise rivers I would tend to call.

The problem is, this is a great board for villain to try to sexy with AQ/AK or set, I know I probably would play it the same way as villain with these hands.

Unless you know your opponent well, I would probably just call

Also you should factor your image into this. For instance, I have a low WSD at around 33%, so I should probably not fold this river.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I open A6s from MP and get 3 bet by TAG in the SB. He is like 30/18/2 and probably knows I am decent. BB mucks we are HU.

Flop A84r

He bets, I call.

River is 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

call this jackass down. fwiw, i dont think checking the turn is bad in this spot.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:53 AM

Checking the turn if he checks? I was in position and called villians bet.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:03 AM

this is an interesting river spot i think.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM

pbob y do u instantly assume a 30/18/2 is a jackass?

i fold this without much thought vs most villains who arent super tricky or noticably spazz bluffy not saying im right since 2 good posters disagree but unless ive seen this line from a worse hand, or a FOS turn screwplay or tons of FOS flop 3bets in position or something before I just dont think we win when we re cr'd here anywhere near 10% of the time.

The more I talk about this the closer it gets in my mind honestly, with the right history with villain I think it could certainly be a call. I guess if he thinks u ll fold any Ax to the cr here (and most of urs that dont put in more action are weakish and definitely not two pair), or vb like JJ+ when he cks maybe we should call, but hes risking 2 bets to win 7 (and some villains just never bluff like this ie myself) and its not like we re that exploitable here since most heros wont fold the hands they vb 25% of the time even (depends what he thinks of us specifically/ or most villains, this last point is very close and perhaps wrong that heros wont fold the hands they vb that often to a cr), plus most of his 3betting hands have SD value (ie QQ+ should definitely just bet and never cr id say?) and most of the ones that dont have SD value ck fold the turn once called on this board (unless uve seen him fire KQ QJ here twice) or wont risk the 2 bets trying to cr bluff in this pot. Some villains definitely do pay attention to timing tells though and may take a stab if u wait a bit to vb, but once he checks this is an insta bet so I doubt u gave up much there, just another thing to think about.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Tip your hat as you muck.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop A84r

He bets, I call.

River is 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once youre check/raised on the river, here's the precise range of a predictable tag villain.

AK,AQ,88,99, and if hes a little looser, A8s,44s. The first hand group is my exact range in this spot and I sexy the river all the time.

In fact given the way you played this hand, I believe not sexying the river with those hands is actually a mistake. These may be strong words but if anyone has 88 oop vs a tag on an A84r board and you bet and the tag calls, if you are not alteast thinking about sexying the river then you are not playing as well as you should be.

As you can see I am very predictable/exploitable in this spot. I will never bluff check/raise here and I will always have AJ tied or beat. (I will also check/raise the river with AJ if I can deduce that my opponent would take a more aggressive line with AK/AQ)

Why do I choose such an unbalanced/exploitable strategy? Becuz very few people can fold A3 here, and even if they can make this fold, theyre still gonna give me 1BB on the river anyways cuz very few people can check A3 on the river in this spot, especially tags.

After saying all this, lets get back to the hand. Here's a pointless statement you already know: Whether you should call here or not depends on your opponent. I'll take it one step further then that annoying statement:

In the midlimits(10-20 to 30-60) against a tag, I actually need a read to call here, with no read I fold.

At 3-6 or 5-10, against a tag, I still need a read to call.

In the lowest limits against a tag (2-4 or below) I need a read to fold here. With no read I call.

There are just too many players at the small stakes level that dont know what theyre doing, thus making retarded aggression, (defined as irrational, hopeless aggression that makes no sense), rampant at these levels. I would also like to point out that this is one area where small stakes is more aggressive than midstakes becuz retarded aggression is significantly more rare at the latter levels.

Most people at midstakes have constructed some kind of "plan of action". Theyre are still many players at small stakes who get lost in a hand and end up making illogical plays for no apparent reason at all.

So when someone tells me that small stakes is more passive than midstakes, I will tell them it depends. In many areas the "small stakes = more passive" mental model is just simply not true.

I did not mention the higher limits(50-100 and above) As I do not play these games. I'll let someone else chime in about this situation at this level.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tip your hat as you muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calda, what's up man. How the hell are ya? Call me, I miss you. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]