Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Crazy?
You've gotta be nuts; you don't have a fucking seizure then say 'oh well, whatever' 198 71.74%
Without medical insurance, I play it the same way 44 15.94%
Not what I'd do, but still reasonable enough 17 6.16%
I'd probably do the same but you're still a goddamn lunatic for other unspecified reasons 12 4.35%
Other (Explain) 5 1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 AM

Default I love my roommate

I'll try to make this as objective as possible. In fact, I'll change the names of the parties involved.

Bob and Jim are roommates. On Friday afternoon, Bob leaves for Miami for the weekend.

On saturday morning, Jim opens the refrigerator door, and Bob's Brita filter falls out of its resting place in the refrigerator door and tumbles to the floor.

The filter is plastic and the top cover piece is cracked. Bob comes home Monday and confronts Jim.

Who should pay to replace the filter?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: I love my roommate

WTF is wrong with people? IT'S A [censored] BRITA WATER FILTER!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Either:

Jim pays, end of story
Bob pays, and shoves broken filter up Jim's ahole.

Edit, also no one cares about the broken top? Damn, if you're going to be a nit, go all out.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:26 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about the gay.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 AM

Rather than letting Bob discover that something of his was broken with no warning, Jim should immediately tell Bob it was broken, and offer to replace it. Bob should then say to Jim, "no way, don't worry about it" (perhaps tacking on a "bro" if Bob talks that way).

Jim and Bob should break out a couple of beers and watch a ballgame. Beer>>>water anyway. If Jim goes to the store before Bob does, he should pick up a filter.

Nothing in this interaction went as it should have.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:40 AM

VR,

Please stop posting so hot. Otherwise, let's get together sometime.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 AM

Clarifications

The filter was empty. Bob placed it on the shelf and was the sole user.

Bob got home during the day Monday while Jim was at work, and confronted Jim soon after he walked in the door.

For those voting Bob, why should he pay for a filter that Jim broke?

For those voting Jim, how could he have prevented this, other than not use his own refrigerator?

Stop calling people nits or trying to guess who's who. Come up with a reason.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rather than letting Bob discover that something of his was broken with no warning, Jim should immediately tell Bob it was broken, and offer to replace it. Bob should then say to Jim, "no way, don't worry about it" (perhaps tacking on a "bro" if Bob talks that way).

Jim and Bob should break out a couple of beers and watch a ballgame. Beer>>>water anyway. If Jim goes to the store before Bob does, he should pick up a filter.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my clarifications. Jim's only chance to bring it up with Bob would be to have called him or left a note, which I think everyone can agree is kind of absurd given that it's a $30 filter, not an expensive TV or something.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:51 AM

Ok, here's my two.

If this is the first time anyone's property has been damaged or destroyed while in a communal part of the house and a reasonable case can be made for why it was not safely placed in the fridge (like, it just fell on the floor because he had placed it carelessly or unstably in the door) then it is the owner's responsibility to replace his property. He could have stored it in the back of the fridge, or in his room since it was empty. On the first pass and especially with an object of small monetary value you give benefit of the doubt to the roommate.

If Jim has a history of accidentally damaging or destroying other roommates' property that is in the communal area of the house, then Jim is responsible for replacing it.

If Jim has a history of accidentally damaging property and has already replaced the property he previously damaged, then it depends highly on how well situated the filter was in the fridge. A dangerously placed filter leans towards Bob replacing it, a clumsy drunken and violent door-opening by Jim resulting in the destruction of a stable and well-situated filter would mean that Jim replaces it.

edit: if it were my filter, I wouldn't ask Jim to replace it. I would buy a new one and keep it someplace different. It blows my mind how this becomes a big issue. But nevertheless... there's my rubric for "who's to blame"
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] u
Closed Thread