15 18 7.29%
16 39 15.79%
17 54 21.86%
18 51 20.65%
19 47 19.03%
20 22 8.91%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Who will win: Dog or Football team?

MICHAEL VICK JOKE
Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's just one dog vs the team, I pick the team. They should be able to just line up and form a pretty tough barrier for the dog to get around.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fairly tough to do across a whole football field. Pretty sure if the dog knew what he was doing he could out-flank them and score. Once he got around the edge he's gone. Or if they spread too far he can scoot through the middle.

Also the out of bounds problem is simple, just put up some walls or a fence.

Football team in full pads would be a nice advantage for the dog.

Screw the dog carrying the ball in his mouth or even at all. Strap it on his back if you want. The ball is not really relevant here. Let's just say tackle the dog is the objective.

Dogs are faster, quicker, can corner tighter, can switch directions on a dime, and are lower to the ground than humans. I'd say a well trained dog could do it most times.

Also I think the rules should be changed to say just get a hold of the dog and stop him. No one wants to tackle a dog. Except Mike Vick. Bazing!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM

Is the dog permitted to bite?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM

I think a full grown golden retriever gets tackled, they are big enough to make a decent target and aren't that fast relative to other dogs. If you pick a smaller, faster dog then I pick the dog.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the team's objective was to stop a TD and they didn't care about field position the dog would never score. They would just form a line and collapse on the area the dog approached.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the dog would get around this.
I think a few different breeds of dog would be able to score.

I want to see a daschund with a miniature football against this team.
He would be running between legs of the defenders and possibly go completely untouched.

Anyone reminded of Rocky in training and trying to catch that chicken?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM

Dogs have pretty skinny legs, I don't think it would be too difficult to snap them. I really think if a human got a hand on the dog it would be over, it's not like a person where he'd be bouncing off hits and stiff arming people. Probably not too tough to clothesline the dog or snap its neck or something.

Also, your coverage team could be all guys like Devin Hester since they're tackling a dog and not a big football playing human, so the dogs speed advantage would be negated somewhat.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's just one dog vs the team, I pick the team. They should be able to just line up and form a pretty tough barrier for the dog to get around.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fairly tough to do across a whole football field. Pretty sure if the dog knew what he was doing he could out-flank them and score. Once he got around the edge he's gone. Or if they spread too far he can scoot through the middle.

Also the out of bounds problem is simple, just put up some walls or a fence.

Football team in full pads would be a nice advantage for the dog.

Screw the dog carrying the ball in his mouth or even at all. Strap it on his back if you want. The ball is not really relevant here. Let's just say tackle the dog is the objective.

Dogs are faster, quicker, can corner tighter, can switch directions on a dime, and are lower to the ground than humans. I'd say a well trained dog could do it most times.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you pick a fast breed, team has no chance. I've seen Barry Sanders split not 2, but 3 defenders with no blockers, and a fast dog is faster and corners MUCH faster. And you can't just surround 'one spot' from 60 yards away. Dog goes up one side, tacklers merge to that side of field, dog cuts back and outruns/thru the remaining 3-4 guys to easy TD.

Have you ever owned a fast breed like an italian greyhound? You can't tackle them, no chance. You might need 20 guys or more.

The 'take out the legs' comment is hilarous, you'd have to go so low and dog would leap right over you ftw.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:48 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

The more I think about this, the more I think the dog is going to make it--especially if the dog isn't going to go out of bounds. You average golden isn't going to make it to 40 mph, but it's certainly going to be going faster than the players. Even if you assume that the team is going to put out all of its small/fast players in coverage, if the dog can find a gap it's going to have a huge head start--the players will have to stop and then turn around to chase. It seems as though the coverage team has only one or two chances to get the dog. Once the dog gets past seven or eight players it'll easily dodge the rest.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 PM

The dog being able to turn on a [censored] dime at top speed is huge. Humans just can't do that.

My dog is a little 45 pound lab/beagle mix and he would be an UNBELIEVABLE punt returner.

He has all kinds of headfakes and jukes too. One of his favorite games is being chased around the yard, but I can't even put a hand on him when he wants to be elusive.

Also, this assumes the ball is small enough for him to carry. I don't think he can fit an NFL football in his mouth, let alone run with it.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Remember that with field-position not a consideration the dog doesn't have to constantly be going forward.
He can zip 30 yards backwards and cut all the way across to the other sideline or something if he wants.

mason55 - for many breeds, I suspect that if you try to take out its legs it will simply bound over you.