Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Rest of the hand

[ QUOTE ]
i like ur play. villain reraise pf and then you can cap. i never miss a chance to call/cap a street. my favorite feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. The idea that he 3 bets junk and TAG caps light while I just sit there calling was also fairly appealing. I should have mentioned that earlier as an added bonus since his range for 3 betting was pretty huge but he wasn't really coldcapping garbage.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Rare preflop slowplay

[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3-bet and expect BB to come along anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you expect that? The read is that given the craziness of the game, BB will come along for one more bet. Our image is the tightest guy at the table. Why would you potentially shut him out p/f? Give the LAG a chance to be a LAG.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats my thinking of these idiots. im much more inclined to just call if theres a decent player in the bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the great thing with this preflopcoldcall is what will happen with the TAG when we coldcall:

1) Preflopraising TAG will misread ur hand and put u on a not so high pair or a ok drawing hand like QJs, because with bad BB its profitable to call with a lot half decent hands. If BB is good there are a lot less hands that are rational to coldcall (implied odds are lower with good BB and good BB will fold more often if u 3bet then this bad BB), so TAG will now faster put u on some sort of tricky play.

2) When u go nuts with ur KK postflop the TAG will think u are trying to chase him out so u can get HU against the stupid LAG and his bad draw. IT will take him forever to understand u got an overpair. If BB is good u will not be as aggressive since u know he is not calling with rubbish.

If u 3bet preflop u will win a little more often, but a much smaller pot because they now read u correct.

Another poster said we should give up here if flop is Axx. I would normally just call down then. Good TAG will bet QQ JJ or 2nd pair topkicker, a good draw or a pure bluff (like KQs) often enough to make it profitable.

I think this preflopcoldcall is great. U can also do it with a good BB but with this one is really intelligent.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:16 AM

I think you're missing too much value since this guy is an 80/50. If you said the guy was a 50/30 with the same postflop tendencies I'd like it better.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3-bet and expect BB to come along anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you expect that? The read is that given the craziness of the game, BB will come along for one more bet. Our image is the tightest guy at the table. Why would you potentially shut him out p/f? Give the LAG a chance to be a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause his VPIP is 80, so he's calling bets preflop with like 90% of his hands?

Our image doesn't matter, and nowhere in the OP did it say we have a nitty image, and all that matters is whether the LAG respects our image which is hard to imagine anyways.

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing too much value since this guy is an 80/50. If you said the guy was a 50/30 with the same postflop tendencies I'd like it better.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft
Old 12-04-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Another poster said we should give up here if flop is Axx. I would normally just call down then. Good TAG will bet QQ JJ or 2nd pair topkicker, a good draw or a pure bluff (like KQs) often enough to make it profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 99% confident Geormiet was kidding.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a great spot to smooth call and make several more bets postflop as a result. seeing the flop w/ KK with two players is not a bad idea. obviously higher variance but a good spot for an expert player to eek out extra EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this idea. This seems like the exact spot where calling has a greater EV than raising. I will say though that If I were playing on a limited bankroll I would 3bet here every time no matter what the circumstances, and would make the same recommendation to anyone else on a short roll. Another aspect that has importance is how well does one handle losing? If losing this pot is going to hurt someone physically/mentally or if the feeling of winning is going to have a very positive effect on ones future play, then I would once again advocate 3betting. Ignoring any of these peripheral variables, I agree 100% with Mike here.