Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > Stoxpoker.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Coaching Idea, x-posted

Like any other live training sessions, it has its benefits and downsides. It can give a very good personal touch, since the student can interact directly. However, for poker, I think it's tough to do, as one has to play to understand some of the concepts. I always found it easy to play, and then ask a question about my play rather than ask in vacuum.

I don't think I will have the energy to fly to your place. It would be nice, if this session can be offered over Internet using some video streaming equipment. Not too hard to setup, actually. That way you can attract more people and will be cheaper for the students as well.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Finally getting around to posting, been busy for the past few days, so:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with this thread unless it causes competition/spamming amongst individual coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY stox.

[ QUOTE ]

Clear your PMs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cleared

[ QUOTE ]

I think that this is a very good idea and would be interested

[/ QUOTE ]
Good, what other sort of info should I provide? What would change you from being interested to signing up? (Etc.)

[ QUOTE ]

This sounds like what Tommy Angelo does, and everything I've heard about his coaching sounds very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, everything I've heard about his program is golden. I think it would be slightly different in that I wouldn't play live with the student, but that is always an option. (just less time efficient)

[ QUOTE ]
The only downside (which could be a big one) is that you're cramming all this stuff into your client's head in 3 days. He doesn't have time between lessons for it to 'sink in'. Having never been coached, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly, trying to figure out how this could be solved. The one thing I do (already) is clients who have already been with me a while (or just do a few lessons anycase) can always IM me about hands or theory. Granted sometimes I'm fairly busy and can't answer as well as if we were IN a session, but this allows some of the info to sink back.

[ QUOTE ]
\
It's hard for a lot of material to sink in over a short period of time. It's good to have a lot of handouts and material the student can take away to review later, to reinforce the coaching, and a variety of activities to do within the 3 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I plan to hand out some stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Frequently, the coach goes to the players instead of having the players come to the coach. A disadvantage is that you have to add the travel/accomodation costs in explicitly, and it is easier for the student to focus on one subject when away from home. An advantage is that a group of friends can hire a coach, and each can get as much out of it as he likes.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is an option. I prefer my house though, obviously.

[ QUOTE ]

How does this program compare to your regular 14 hour program in terms of cost? What is the hourly for the 14 individual sessions vs. the 3 day cram session?

[/ QUOTE ]

the reg program is 2100-2800$. I dont want to call it a cram session as well, since, well, it's not exactly a cram! =)

[ QUOTE ]
Like any other live training sessions, it has its benefits and downsides. It can give a very good personal touch, since the student can interact directly. However, for poker, I think it's tough to do, as one has to play to understand some of the concepts. I always found it easy to play, and then ask a question about my play rather than ask in vacuum.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree with that.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I will have the energy to fly to your place. It would be nice, if this session can be offered over Internet using some video streaming equipment. Not too hard to setup, actually. That way you can attract more people and will be cheaper for the students as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the big draw I'm trying to get across here is the personal touch. People tend to be busy, scheduling can be rough, (etc.) when dealing with sessions over the internet. Live it's another story; things are slowed down, questions are understood better.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea as well. Being coached over aim or something doesn't thrill me a whole lot. If I could learn all there is to learn by reading text on my computer screen, well, it would have happened already.

Live coaching is the only way I'd go and would recommend all coaches try to figure out a way to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. BTW, if you ever find a good local coach, let me know.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Frequently, the coach goes to the players instead of having the players come to the coach. A disadvantage is that you have to add the travel/accomodation costs in explicitly, and it is easier for the student to focus on one subject when away from home. An advantage is that a group of friends can hire a coach, and each can get as much out of it as he likes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious solution if for both to travel to, and meet in, Vegas. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The issue of distractions is true for the coach as well. I like the idea of the coach concentrating on just the coaching and not the everyday distractions of home life.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The obvious solution if for both to travel to, and meet in, Vegas. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The issue of distractions is true for the coach as well. I like the idea of the coach concentrating on just the coaching and not the everyday distractions of home life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that.

Any case, first student is scheduled for Nov 3rd, so hopefully he'll post his thoughts on the format and whether the program was worth it or not.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:07 PM

Once I am off my stake and dipping into 400nl. I will be contacting you BF, only one request we have to go to Spike's Junkyard Dogs are you close to one?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I am off my stake and dipping into 400nl. I will be contacting you BF, only one request we have to go to Spike's Junkyard Dogs are you close to one?

[/ QUOTE ]
heh, not sure where Junkyard Dogs is/are. =/ But sure, contact me whenever.

**Want to mention as well I've scheduled two of these workshops, so I'm hoping once complete the students chime in for suggestions/comments/criticisms/etc.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Review of the first trial

Dan Dubois (posts as Ddubois here) stayed with me and we did the program from the 5th to 8th (I think those dates are correct?). I havent been able to post MY review of the situation until now, and although I want him to write something (positive or negative, it's all good =) ) I think just having any feedback is a positive thing.

So -

The first thing is that I did not structure the workshop - or atleast present it in the light from what I imagined - correctly. I used my lessons as the bulk of our discussion fodder, but it seemed most of the value of the live play was when Dan and I (at the end) actually DID a session together, since we were able to implement discussion topics (the theory) and apply them (the practice)>

another concern prior to the first workshop was that the material would be too much to condense into the weekend to just "understand". Again, having the client with the information from the get go, then using the beginning discussions as review and questions over that, would've solved this.

Another thing is that both of our sleep schedules got very messed up. Dan flew in from Hawaii, and I stayed up all night to pick him up because he got in early. He also didn't sleep much on the plane. So, from the start we were working tired, which resulted in a less efficient working environment. (And both of us were grumpy!)

I am not sure if I priced it right, either, because in my mind I pictured 20 hours (the ceiling) of work, whereas perhaps people were expecting more. (so, again, 3k is low)

One cool thing is I was able to hook up my laptop to my TV and show things from that, but we couldn't get it to work with Dan's computer. so, again, playing on a big screen is sweet for a sweating session.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Review of the first trial

If you wanna do like a take a SSNL(kid) to work day.

I would volunteer for this haha.

(Shooting for March of 08)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Review of the first trial

I didn't really want to comment in public, because while I had significant problems with the way it all went down, I didn't want to slam Rob like that. I think Rob will do a much better job of both 1) properly setting expectations and 2) preparing the client for the event, so that the most effective learning can occur on-site. I feel his lesson material contains some valuable and thought-provoking stuff. And I think now that he's made all his mistakes with me (and there were lots! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), he'll provide a much better service to subsequent clients. I have not soured on the idea of a "poker workshop" at all.