Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: If the Ryder Cup started today

Agree w/ some of your points, but to the extent the world rankings are biased to the PGA Tour there is some justification for it. The US Tour is the strongest tour and is pretty international now. Top players from Europe, Australia and Asia are there and more are coming. It has caused some Ryder Cup points problems when lets say the second American in a strong tournament finishes 11 and gets no points but the guy who finishes 9th at the John Deere does. The European Tour is cool and a good tour, but it is weaker. One area where the world rankings are flawed from what I understand of them (admittedly little) is that the strength of field is somewhat self-weighting in that the top plyers essentially bring the field with them. It is kind of hard to argue anyway when Tiger plays events with strong fields anyway, but any tournament he shows up in gets more points. So a second on the European tour if Tiger plays is worth more than when he is back in the states I think, and Tiger gets more points because he is there.

But hey, it could be the women's ranking where Michelle is still ahead of Karrie Webb. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-- and, finally, the Europeans prepare much better, as if it were a major event, while the US more just kind of shows up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The top U.S. players have to deal with this type of tournament every year (RC then PC then RC then PC, etc.). This has become an issue in that it is difficult for the U.S. to get hyped every year for a team competition. The PC started in 1994 and the U.S. record in the RC since the inception of the PC is 1 win, 4 losses. The recent European success has less to do with anything European players are doing and more to do with the U.S. being stretched thin by having to "get up" every year for a team competition instead of every two years. It is not any more complicated than this. The top players still are Americans / non-Euros.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 PM

The US had won 2 and lost 3 in the five RCs previous to 1994, and only lost 1 PC since 1994. Only 3 Americans are in the World top 10 -- which is biased towards the US tour. So I think it is more complicated.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The US had won 2 and lost 3 in the five RCs previous to 1994, and only lost 1 PC since 1994. Only 3 Americans are in the World top 10 -- which is biased towards the US tour. So I think it is more complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suffice it to say that the U.S. dominated the RC and then Europe won 4 of 5. What happened during this time frame? The U.S. was introduced into another team competition.

The solution: have the Euros play the ROtW in a team competition every 1/3 year so you have: RC one year, next year PC, and then next year Euros vs ROtW. Rinse and repeat.

Lastly, you don't want to get into a discussion of Americans lacking in talent. The U.S. is the world's best golfing nation in terms of pro talent. Period. End of story. The Euros haven't even won a major this decade. C'mon man...don't waste my time with this non-sense.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 PM

"Suffice it to say that the U.S. dominated the RC and then Europe won 4 of 5."

I'm saying this is wrong. US domination already ended.

I've never said the US lacked in talent.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF US? If these are the teams we will get completely spanked this year. Where is all of our young talent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...GET MICHELLE ON THIS TEAM!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WTF US? If these are the teams we will get completely spanked this year. Where is all of our young talent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...GET MICHELLE ON THIS TEAM!!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
HAHAHAH!

Even the "downside" -- we get to watch Michelle get spanked!

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 PM

I wonder if Michelle's restraining order against ThinMan has been approved yet.