Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's your move?
Shove it 25 89.29%
Call 2 7.14%
Fold 1 3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2006, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Official statement from PokerStars

** Deleted, I wasn't helping things **

Lori
Old 10-02-2006, 08:10 AM

Party's business model has always been one of getting rich quick then dumping. That's why they have never bothered to have decent customer service, they didn't care about a lasting customer base.

And remember, all we really need is for one or two rooms to stick it out. Yeah it would suck playing on pokerroom all the time but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And remember, all we really need is for one or two rooms to stick it out. Yeah it would suck playing on pokerroom all the time but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something very important for people to keep in mind over the next couple of days.

Right now, things look extremely grim. Party is gone. Pacific is gone. Stars and Paradise have one foot out the door. I'm sure others will be added to that list in the next 24 hours.

Change is scary, but as long as a few rooms stay open to US customers, what we're witnessing is more like a reshuffling of the industry than anything else.

It'll be weird seeing Absolute and UB hitting 50,000 in peak time, but that might be what we're all taking for granted six months from now.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something very important for people to keep in mind over the next couple of days.

Right now, things look extremely grim. Party is gone. Pacific is gone. Stars and Paradise have one foot out the door. I'm sure others will be added to that list in the next 24 hours.

Change is scary, but as long as a few rooms stay open to US customers, what we're witnessing is more like a reshuffling of the industry than anything else.

It'll be weird seeing Absolute and UB hitting 50,000 in peak time, but that might be what we're all taking for granted six months from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be better to say that Stars is rumored to have one foot out the door.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just imagine for a minute Party or Stars would be successful shooting down this part of the bill. Public outcry about foreign companies influencing American politicians would immidiately ensue...

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY? Public outcry? Far less than 1% of the US population knew this bill existed, let alone cared whether or not it got passed. If it hadn't passed, then the only difference woiuld that a few bible thumper special interest groups would get mad at Frist for not supporting good Christian values. Other than that, it would go completely unnoticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm bummed that it happened, but this is pretty much how I feel about it.

The bottom line is that Congress has the right, and some would say the resposiblity, of passing laws to protect and promote the public good. And judging from the posts on this forum about losing all the "fish" they did just that.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just imagine for a minute Party or Stars would be successful shooting down this part of the bill. Public outcry about foreign companies influencing American politicians would immidiately ensue...

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY? Public outcry? Far less than 1% of the US population knew this bill existed, let alone cared whether or not it got passed. If it hadn't passed, then the only difference woiuld that a few bible thumper special interest groups would get mad at Frist for not supporting good Christian values. Other than that, it would go completely unnoticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm bummed that it happened, but this is pretty much how I feel about it.

The bottom line is that Congress has the right, and some would say the resposiblity, of passing laws to protect and promote the public good. And judging from the posts on this forum about losing all the "fish" they did just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense, most of the fish are people playing with disposable income for entertainment purposes.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 AM

I'm an Australian player, so this doesn't affect me as much as it does others, but the loss of the US player base still affects my profitability in a big way.

I've enjoyed the tournaments at Stars, but always played cash on Party. Why? Lots more players. Here now, though, is an opportunity for Stars to sweep the industry and claim all of those players. Party has always been the big boy - but now, Stars can be much bigger than Party ever was.

I'd be very willing to devote 100% of my playing time to Pokerstars if they were to stand against this and allow US players to play. It's only partly motiviated by profit: equally important is the ideal of opposing a hypocritical, fascist, heap of [censored] law forced down everyones throats by a cat killing tosspot.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 AM

And most fish enjoy poker, its not like they were getting robbed. They enjoy playing because its a fun game.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was a high profile issue, 80-90% of the customers of these foreign companies are American, so it's not like they have no credibility here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There might not be a "public outcry", but I'd think that there is a much larger percentage of "swing voters" (people who don't just vote straight dem or rep) on this site than for the population as a whole. I don't think I'll be voting for any incumbent republicans any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious. Most here would have never voted for a republican to begin with.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if this was a high profile issue, 80-90% of the customers of these foreign companies are American, so it's not like they have no credibility here.

[/ QUOTE ]

There might not be a "public outcry", but I'd think that there is a much larger percentage of "swing voters" (people who don't just vote straight dem or rep) on this site than for the population as a whole. I don't think I'll be voting for any incumbent republicans any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious. Most here would have never voted for a republican to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, Poker lovers come from all walks of life. I am a Republican who is outraged at his party, but the other side didn't do anything to stop this either.

My distaste is spread equally amongst all of our elected officials.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a case of crushing the European market and then propping up a US market. Morality? Nonsense. Everything our government does is driven by the worship of the almighty dollar. Notice that they deferred a lot of the legality issues to the states. You will begin seeing states legalizing online gaming and then linking there games across state borders as they did with the lottery.

For now, I am riding this out and waiting for things to shake out. I am NOT withdrawing. I will stand with whoever wants to keep my business and keep on playing.