Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Mental Problems - Any books or threads suggestions?

I imagine I am not alone in that the weakest part of my game is, as of this second, the mental aspect. I sometimes struggle in keeping focus on the right ideas while I am at the table.

I want to keep my mind focused on picking up reads and considering all variables that need to be considered. However, sometimes I find myself drifting to thinking about:

- How much I am up/down.
- How bad I just got sucked out on.

This sounds like tilt/related issues, but my daydreaming will often-times drift to other issues. It could be ANYTHING.

Perhaps.... I am thinking about what I want to put in my pizza sauce and imagining how good the pizza, itself, will be after this session.
Perhaps.... I am thinking about the Sosa/McGuire home-run race.
Perhaps.... I am thinking about Jessica Alba's hotness(this may be +EV though).

I KNOW these thoughts are -EV and I take responsibility for fixing them. However, I am a book nerd and I was wanting to know if anybody has any favorite books or threads that deal with the mental side of the game. I think this would be a good place to insert any pointers/thoughts that you have that help you keep yourself in the right place.

The general point is that I think I have spent a while getting the strategic concepts of LHE and NLHE under my belt, but now it is time to make everything come full circle and make it so that I am almost always on my A game.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Mental Problems - Any books or threads suggestions?

I will add to this that I have read "The Zen of Poker" and "The Psychology of Poker" already.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM

No books or threads but a couple of basic points that bear repeating:

1. Take regular breaks. I take regulation breaks of at least 10 mins each hour and straight away after a big suckout.

You might want to investigate the working conditions that air traffic controllers operate under, they have a similar job in many ways.

2. Work out, pref early on, to get the energy flowing. Run, swim, anything. I find I play best during the early hours and get gradually worse as the day goes on.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. Take regular breaks. I take regulation breaks of at least 10 mins each hour and straight away after a big suckout.

You might want to investigate the working conditions that air traffic controllers operate under, they have a similar job in many ways.

2. Work out, pref early on, to get the energy flowing. Run, swim, anything. I find I play best during the early hours and get gradually worse as the day goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely agree with the working out thing. I break up my sessions everyday with a run. Now I'm a marathon runner so you don't have to go that buckwild but you get the point. Will definitely sharpen your focus. Also, you can work out whatever frustration you have. No matter how bad my morning session, it's completely gone after the workout.

Also, I've seen the book "Inside the Poker Mind" mentioned several times in other forums. Don't know if it's applicable or even good but it may be a possibility.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely agree with the working out thing. I break up my sessions everyday with a run. Now I'm a marathon runner so you don't have to go that buckwild but you get the point. Will definitely sharpen your focus. Also, you can work out whatever frustration you have. No matter how bad my morning session, it's completely gone after the workout.

Also, I've seen the book "Inside the Poker Mind" mentioned several times in other forums. Don't know if it's applicable or even good but it may be a possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

These sound like very good ideas. I have a "real" job so I just played poker as a hobby so I don't get into very long sessions. I can see the benefit of working out prior to playing, perhaps as little as going to the driving range or hitting some shag balls would help get me in a focused mindset.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Sounds like your bored. Although that Jessica Alba....

Oh, sorry. Do you count on your poker money to live? If not I would suggest doing something else for a while as you seem either distracted or focusing on things that make you not want to play more. Play another poker game. Do something thats not poker.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. Do you count on your poker money to live? If not I would suggest doing something else for a while as you seem either distracted or focusing on things that make you not want to play more. Play another poker game. Do something thats not poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my poker money is in a little world of its own. I was worried that this would come off as sounding bored. Admittedly, it's hard to make it not sound like I am bored. This isn't a CONSTANT problem, I usually am focused. I just want to NEARLY ALWAYS be focused.

To put in math terms, I imagine I am focused somewhere between 75-90 percent of the time, I want it to be 90-100.

Hooray for Jessica.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Ace on the River by Barry Greenstein deals with the psycology of poker a lot in his book...It may help, and if you havent read it, it is a must read for any poker player regardless.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my poker money is in a little world of its own. I was worried that this would come off as sounding bored. Admittedly, it's hard to make it not sound like I am bored. This isn't a CONSTANT problem, I usually am focused. I just want to NEARLY ALWAYS be focused.

To put in math terms, I imagine I am focused somewhere between 75-90 percent of the time, I want it to be 90-100.

Hooray for Jessica.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried playing with your entire br on the table? THat would probably up your focus levels.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooray for Jessica.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you tried playing with your entire br on the table? THat would probably up your focus levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly would, and it would probably end my life shortly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]