Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Re: benchmark dishes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ed,

Gnocchi is my favourite Italian dish, but it is too easy to mess up to keep in line with the OP's intentions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the point, no? If they get that right they're golden? Am I misunderstanding the OP?

And I agree with you, gnocchi is the best. Unfortunately I didn't discover it until I moved from Boston (and subsequently, the delicious north end). Sodini's in North Beach, SF has really awesome gnocchi if you get the chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the OP wants dishes that are hard to mess up, and if those are good, then he would try the restaurant again, but I could be wrong.

And, for the record, my mom makes the best gnocchi.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are my uncle you are wrong, sir.

In defense of my gnocchi choice, it is [censored] up a lot, but someone that knows what they are doing won't ever get it wrong. Its not a complicated procedure.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The true test of an Italian restaurant is the risotto. I love it when I order the risotto and the waiter says, 'I'm sorry, that will take 30 minutes.'

Don't be sorry. That's what I was looking for. Now I can settle back and relax, knowing that my risotto is being prepared from scratch. Cooked to order. If your risotto comes out quicker than that, then they're cutting corners. And not just on the risotto.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. I rarely go out to Italian these days - in large part because there's a serious lack of selection for non-horrible Italian restaurants in Seattle - but when I do go to a new one I almost always order risotto for this very reason.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thai restaurants I want to try yellow chicken curry, pad thai, and either fresh or fried spring rolls the first trip.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think pad thai is a poor noodle choice for this purpose. I think Pad Kee Mao would be a much better indicator of how good a Thai restaurant is at noodle dishes. If you can't do super spicy dishes, I'd say Pad See Ew. For a curry I'd go with Panang on my first trip, kind of for the same reasons, but also because I think Panang curry is heaven on earth.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. I rarely go out to Italian these days - in large part because there's a serious lack of selection for non-horrible Italian restaurants in Seattle - but when I do go to a new one I almost always order risotto for this very reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you been to Pasta Freska on Westlake? Went there one time with a friend of the chef, and it is right up there with any Italian that I've had anywhere, including Italy. The chef picks the food and wine for you. Prices more than reasonable. Give it a try if you haven't.

Oh, and the chef is supposed to be a monster at backgammon, if that matters.

Pasta Freska
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 AM

I do the exact same thing with sushi el d. Like, to the letter.

For chinese restaurants that are like, 'fast foody' I would normally get a combination chicken chow mein. It's usually pretty reasonable and can also be very good.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Kid,

Yes, you missed the starting point (but not the endgame). We start with a simple dish that the chef should not screw-up. Then as we make return visits to the restaurant we challenge him a bit. In this case gnocchi would be towards the top of the ladder of difficulty. So it would not be ordered on the first visit.

I agree that gnocchi is a true test of a good Italian restaurant. Once one has had great gnocchi, one can never eat bad gnocchi again. Gnocchi should be light as a feather.

M2d: Great idea, btw. I am definitely going to start using it.

RJT
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thai restaurants I want to try yellow chicken curry, pad thai, and either fresh or fried spring rolls the first trip.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think pad thai is a poor noodle choice for this purpose. I think Pad Kee Mao would be a much better indicator of how good a Thai restaurant is at noodle dishes. If you can't do super spicy dishes, I'd say Pad See Ew. For a curry I'd go with Panang on my first trip, kind of for the same reasons, but also because I think Panang curry is heaven on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

panang, garlic pork, whatever spicy basil chicken/beef (pad gra pow in thai?) looks best and rounds out the order.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In defense of my gnocchi choice, it is [censored] up a lot, but someone that knows what they are doing won't ever get it wrong. Its not a complicated procedure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed,

OK, I am not so far from PSU (assuming that is Penn State) 3 hours maybe. What State are you in Golden Rhino?

This Sunday? I’ll bring the wine.

RJT
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed,

OK, I am not so far from PSU (assuming that is Penn State) 3 hours maybe. What State are you in Golden Rhino?

This Sunday? I’ll bring the wine.

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I am not in a State, I live in Canada. How bout if I ever cross the border I bring a big ass tupperware full of gnocchi for you?