Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Default LC - Help needed to plug my leak (NL10 atm)

Hi all

I have been looking at my PokerTracker stats and I have identified my biggest leak as losing big pots with just a single pair. Either TPTK or an overpair. I really need to plug this quickly - It's driving me mad.

My main difficulty is knowing when my single pair is good and to go to value town with it, or to slow down and go for pot control.

Last night, for example, in the space of about 10 minutes I had two hands come up.

NL10

First hand: I got dealt AA in the SB. Lots of limpers and then button raised to .50. I made it $2 to go and then potted every street and stacked the villain for about 150 BB

Second hand: I got dealt AKo in ep. I raise to .50 and I get 2 callers (1 shorty and one bigstack with 200 BB). I had 250 BB before the hand started. Flop comes 4, A, T. Shorty makes a ridiculous .10 bet, which the bigstack calls and I bump it to the size of the pot (about $2). Shorty comes over the top all-in for his remaining chips (only about an extra $1) Big stack calls and so do I. Then Big stack took me to value town with $6 on the turn and $6 on the river and showed his set of 4's......

It was strange, cos alarm bells started going off on the flop when bigstack first called the .10 bet and then the check-raise. I even thought to myself " Looks like he has a set" and then went on to click "call" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So I won a huge pot with a single pair, and then went on to lose it, with a similar hand.

How do you avoid going broke with one pair ? Are there certain things you look out for ? Do you give it up on the flop ? The turn ? The river ? I don't want to start playing AK for 2 pair value only surely ?!

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on this. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: LC - Help needed to plug my leak (NL10 atm)

Simplistically, I look at one pair hands as "flop" hands. I try to win on the flop then try for cheap showdowns. Position will play a factor in my play, but generally I look at full ring one pair hands as a liability.

Reverse implied odds will kill your hand more often than not. And as you know, you can't bet high enough to get someone to fold the nut FD LOL
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM

There is one thing that is important and simple and can really save you a lot of money: when you know your behind cause evidence is just too overwhelming, FOLD.

This is not meant sarcastic or something (ok, little maybe) but will really save you a lot of money. Trust your reads and dont be too curious.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM

I'm probably not the best person to answer this because i've been known to play pairs like a donkey... however for what it's worth.

I think it essential comes down to who you're in a pot with, their stats and what have you. If you're building a big pot and you've got a tight guy behind you flat calling you along then exercise a bit of caution, for example. It's kind of hard to cover all the situations where you have a pair and I think knowing if you're good or not comes down to experiance and having a general feel for the situation. I suppose the poker cliche of "Big hands for big pots" is relevant too. A pair isn't ever the best possible hand so just exercise caution before you bet everything you've got at the table.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:19 PM

MrBumb,

I think your problem is common. I know I still suffer from it from time to time. For a one pair hand you really want to generally keep the pot small unless you have a specific read that the villain is a real donk. This means checking many nondangerous looking turns rather than trying to bet all three streets.

In the first hand your villain likely has a very wide range, but the fact that he raised and then called your signficant 3bet should suggest that villain probably is a donk. For instance, unless you were both really deep he doesn't even have set odds to call you. The fact that you have tp going into the hand means you likely have villain totally dominated.

Regarding your example with the two villains -- anytime someone raises when there are 2 others in the pot I get very concerned. HU villains may be a bit more aggressive, but against 2 or more players it is probably rare that your single pair hand (even tptk) is good.

Another suggestion which I intend to implement also, is to try to take a few extra seconds before I click that "call" button. I frequently find at the end of the hand that I clicked too quickly rather than taking a moment to try to reason through the hand. We have the time clock for a reason, so not a bad idea to take advantage of a few extra seconds to really consider the best course of action.

GL!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM

If you can felt an overpair on the flop at NL10 then go for it. I doubt this would be a leak at all. On the turn and river it all comes down to board texture, TPTK is a lot better on a K672 board of two suits than a KJ87 board with the same suits.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:29 PM

Thank-you all for your input - That all makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Simplistically, I look at one pair hands as "flop" hands. I try to win on the flop then try for cheap showdowns. Position will play a factor in my play, but generally I look at full ring one pair hands as a liability.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this particularly helpful. TYVM [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trust your reads and dont be too curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Take your time before making decision that really helps a lot,if you are unsure of where you are at , think about out the hand developed, the "flow" of the hand.

You have TPTK on a ragged board, you lead on every street with a PSB, villain (Good TAG) flatcall your raises and then suddenly on the river he shoves, do you really want to call with just TP when you know from his play that you are behind, just to see where you are at? To me that doesn't sound like a good plan.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all

I have been looking at my PokerTracker stats and I have identified my biggest leak as losing big pots with just a single pair. Either TPTK or an overpair. I really need to plug this quickly - It's driving me mad.

My main difficulty is knowing when my single pair is good and to go to value town with it, or to slow down and go for pot control.

Last night, for example, in the space of about 10 minutes I had two hands come up.

NL10

First hand: I got dealt AA in the SB. Lots of limpers and then button raised to .50. I made it $2 to go and then potted every street and stacked the villain for about 150 BB

Second hand: I got dealt AKo in ep. I raise to .50 and I get 2 callers (1 shorty and one bigstack with 200 BB). I had 250 BB before the hand started. Flop comes 4, A, T. Shorty makes a ridiculous .10 bet, which the bigstack calls and I bump it to the size of the pot (about $2). Shorty comes over the top all-in for his remaining chips (only about an extra $1) Big stack calls and so do I. Then Big stack took me to value town with $6 on the turn and $6 on the river and showed his set of 4's......

It was strange, cos alarm bells started going off on the flop when bigstack first called the .10 bet and then the check-raise. I even thought to myself " Looks like he has a set" and then went on to click "call" [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So I won a huge pot with a single pair, and then went on to lose it, with a similar hand.

How do you avoid going broke with one pair ? Are there certain things you look out for ? Do you give it up on the flop ? The turn ? The river ? I don't want to start playing AK for 2 pair value only surely ?!

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me on this. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol trust your instinct. i just did the same stupid thing

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($19.50)
MP2 ($45)
CO ($10.40)
Button ($42.80)
SB ($42.55)
Hero ($71.25)
UTG ($48.55)
UTG+1 ($72.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A , A .
2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, 3 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $2.5, MP1 calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.50) T , 7 , 6 (3 players)
SB bets $0.5, Hero raises to $6, MP1 folds, SB raises to $12, Hero raises to $75.25 (All-In), SB calls $29.05 (All-In).

Turn: ($88.60) T (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($88.60) K (2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $88.60
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 PM

Where you getting your stats from? Are you using the misc tab?

Usually at NL 10 TPTK is the nuts and i am happy too get it all in 90% of the time. But if i am getting action from two players on a rainbow flop i am happy to get out of the way. Espcially against another big stack, they wont stack off for 200bb's with Ax. I'd be think a set or AT.

It just a case of paying attention too the action and taking time too think about the hand. Alot of players seem to rush there decision when they are confused and just hit the call button in an attempt too showdown asap too see the results, next time just let the clock run down so you can look at the board and then work out his possible holdings.