Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: breaking vegetarians

I think you should tell her that it's possible to be both against animal abuse and eat meat that has been produced by this abuse, because her not eating meat has very little effect on the abuse, and there are probably better ways to help the cause (namely informing people about facts of animal abuse, such as animal treatment, animal psychology, Christianity's effect, human psychology (the more different something is from us, the harder it is for us to care about them), or donating money to some organization that helps animals somehow, working in such an organization, or something else maybe..).

However, if she anyway feels too bad about eating meat, maybe you could accept her the way she is instead of trying to force changes that might be bad for her on the long run (if she starts eating meat because of pressure from you and then gets guilty conscience etc.).
Old 09-15-2007, 03:25 PM

Clive Barker wrote a short story about this called "Dread".
Old 09-15-2007, 03:29 PM

That became the idea for a few movies too.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 PM

I've been a vegetarian for over 15 years now. Nobody could convince me to eat meat. While I don't like the treatment of animals that are raised for food, I also wouldn't consider eating free range anything. By the same token, I wouldn't try to convert a carnivore.

I personally can't stand when someone tries to get me to eat meat. I also don't try to force tofu on others. In a real douchebag move, I was invited over to dinner by friends who know I am a vegetarian but have been trying to convert me for years. They usually make pasta, etc. when I go, I bring dessert or wine.

They made some rice without telling me beef stock was in it (I shouldn't need to ask at this point,they know I won't eat meat and warn me when something has stock in it). I ate it, and went home and was violently ill for hours vomiting. I am still upset with them over this, not only for the fact that I got sick over this, but the fact that they had this kind of disrespect for my beliefs.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

They made some rice without telling me beef stock was in it (I shouldn't need to ask at this point,they know I won't eat meat and warn me when something has stock in it). I ate it, and went home and was violently ill for hours vomiting.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao
Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM

dmc, did you get sick after you found out there was beef stock in it? or did you realize there was stock bc you got sick?
Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM

I got sick before I realized there was stock in it. After 15 years or not eating meat, I don't think my system was able to tolerate it.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got sick before I realized there was stock in it. After 15 years or not eating meat, I don't think my system was able to tolerate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds wacky, but like what I've said above, eating red meat after you're not used to it really throws your stomach. Think of it like being lactose intolerant and drinking a couple glasses of milk.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:36 PM

Apathy: "SOme of my friends have "INTERVENTIONS" every couple weeks. They are always about funny things, like one was a pasta intervention for a guy who hates pasta" That sounds awesome. I'm gonna organize a cheese intervention for haakee.

Victor: As they said, it's pretty common for vegetarians (or even people who just don't eat red meat) to get sick if they eat meat/beef.

Oliver: "the French Onion Soup my vegan girlfriend and I ate had beef broth." Weird. I know tons of vegans and every single one of them asks about soup bases every single time. And they don't even consider stuff like french onion soup. Did she just become vegan or something?
Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 PM

As mentioned before, I didn't eat meat for 10 years and then had a pastrami sandwich. I felt fine.