Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been arguing this w/ my friend for many days, Is he even righ

Not worth arguing for days over. The expectation of folding vs calling has to be really close for most people.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:54 PM

so were we okay with the flop play? I mean, if you dont flop two pair or set, youre flopping a draw. Assuming this is a lower buyin, should we bet the draw on the flop? I think this should be taken into consideration when making this call preflop.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:10 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been arguing this w/ my friend for many days, Is he even right?

My advice would be player specific. Somebody who is beating SNG's can play this profitably. If I'm talking to somebody who I know doesn't beat SNG's, I'd tell him to fold and stay out of trouble spots.

I call and look for a chance to stack somebody. IF I flop 2 or better and get beat, next game please. I play mostly 22's
Old 09-14-2007, 05:37 PM

For 10 chips with that many callers, I'm limping with just about any two cards and hoping to flop 2 pair or better. If I hit top pair, I'll check/fold. If I have a draw, I'll check and only stay in if I'm getting great odds to call a flop bet.

Later in the game, when the blinds are say, 50/100 or so, I'll usually fold this pf.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 PM

in every "my friend" post the friend is always right and op should not waste time arguing.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Very easy call pre-flop.

Hopefully one flop a flush, trips, quads, full house, top-two pair, straight, or a flushdraw and straight draw - if one not do that its mostly wise to just fold it to a CB.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being OOP matters because its harder to extract value. The decision to play suited 3-gappers is based on your belief that the implied odds are there but when its harder to get someone to play to the felt then your implied odds drop considerably.

[/ QUOTE ]

3/4 pot, 3/4 pot, 3/4 pot will get you all in. Or if you think you'll get more than 1 caller, 1/2 pot, 1/2 pot, 1/2 pot gets you all in. To donkey opponents none of those bets are going to look extraordinarily large.

By leading you get to control the minimum bet amount. Say you were in LP and the BB leads out for T20 into the T200 pot (very common at lower limits) - now you have to make a raise 8x the lead out bet which is much more intimidating than simply leading out for T160. A lead out bet doesn't give away that your hand is very strong while a huge raise like that usually does.

Edit - I'm not saying position isn't important. I'm just saying with a hand like this where you must flop an absolute monster to continue it doesn't matter as much. A hand like KQs from this position is much trickier to play because if you make any top pair that's enough hand to take to a showdown - now being OOP really sucks.