Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Need alchohol suggestions, brother coming home from Iraq

Stoly > Absolute
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 AM

tbh, dont get expensive stuff.. just pick up a few handles of crown, a couple handles of some decent tequila (sauza hornitos for ritas, patron for shots), grab a blender, get some minute maid limeade, make margaritas, and have crown and cokes. everyone is happy, and u can get lets of it to be sure u dont run out. maybe get one nice bottle of skotch or something for u and ur bro and a few friends late night just chill and drink.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Crown and Ginger is a pretty smooth combo as well.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vodka: Stoli is my personal favorite. Sky is ok. Real man DO NOT drink grey goose, sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense but real men know that vodka is mostly just vodka. The vast majority of expert taste testers can not differentiate between a $50 dollar bottle of Vodka and a $10 bottle when blind taste tested.

The only difference is the perception of quality or lack there of as defined by advertising guru’s that have spent their careers convincing us that water is wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're full of [censored]. have you ever drank 10 dollar vodka? it makes you gag.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are too funny, sucked right into the advertising machine. The sad thing is that you will never even know. Why don’t you google what the governments definition of Vodka is.

Vodka Taste Test (ABC)
Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM

ok ne. lets meet up. you get popov i get stoli. we drink the whole bottle and see who gags first

deal??????

oh, for rollz obviously
Old 05-26-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok ne. lets meet up. you get popov i get stoli. we drink the whole bottle and see who gags first

deal??????

oh, for rollz obviously

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be about as stupid as saying different vodka’s (unflavored) have radically different taste, so much so that a much more expensive price is warranted. I swear I have nothing against people that buy expensive Vodka, just that I believe and many others believe that they have been sucked into to a myth that is perpetuated by big business, Manhattan hipsters and a few snooty spirit critics. You are paying for the bottle!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 AM

the difference is not in taste but in quality. thousand of people die every day from bad quality vodka

you have made urself to sound very ignorant in this thread, sorry

rkd
Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the difference is not in taste but in quality. thousand of people die every day from bad quality vodka

you have made urself to sound very ignorant in this thread, sorry

rkd

[/ QUOTE ]

If the criteria for something we consume is not taste and instead is quality and quality is defined as something that will not kill us then the product probably shouldn’t be consumed. I guess that’s just me though.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:00 PM

dude what are you blabbering about

ppl die from bad milk and stuff.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:03 PM

ne14dirt is correct in that the differences between a medium vodka and a premium vodka are probably too subtle for most people to appreciate. I'm going to guess that your brother hasn't had neither time nor opportunity to develop a discerning palate for the subtleties of vodka, so spending upwards of $30 a bottle seems like a waste to me. If he was somewhat of a vodka snob before he went to Iraq, matters change, and the argument for going after a pricey brand to show appreciation for your brother can, of course, also be made.

Anyway, my main concern here is the scotch. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Unless you know he's had some experience with scotch, do not go for an Islay whiskey such as Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Some beginners get the taste for smokey/peaty whiskeys right away, but it'll be a gamble on your part. Usually, it takes some time to develop an appreciation for Islay whiskeys.

My current favorite whiskey in the 'affordable' price range is Oban, 14 yo. There's a definite element of peat and smoke to it, but not too much to throw off a beginner. A more conservative choice is the Glenlivet 12 yo, or even the 18 yo if you want to step it up a bit. These are some of the best balanced whiskeys you'll get.

Oh, and for the love of God, don't buy Jack Daniels! The horror!