Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Review one whiskey

OK. That's the deal.

Review one whiskey.

That's how every post starts. You are welcome to write more, respond to posts, etc. But before you do that, the post must start with you reviewing one whiskey. Doesn't need to be an essay. Just a review. Short and simple is fine. Bourbon, Tennessee, Scotch, Irish, whatever. Anything goes. Any price point. In fact, the wider the price point covered in this thread the better.

Here's a link to my OOT Whiskey Recommendation thread. Hopefully this thread will get a little deeper content.

I'll get this one started w/ one of my all-time favorites and my standard recommendation to new scotch drinkers who want to buy their first nicer bottle.

Balvenie 12yo Doublewood Scotch Whisky. This scotch is about $35 (please include prices in your review, this varies regionally, but bevmo.com is a good place to look). It's aged in traditional bourbon oak barrels first, to give it the classic Speyside Scotch flavor, which is smokey with a bit of an oaky taste, but very smooth and refined and with very little peaty taste. The aging of this scotch is finished in sherry casks, which adds another flavor element to make this even more complex while adding a hint of sweetness that makes this even smoother. This scotch really illustrates how you can make a whisky that has a very complex flavor and nice, sharp, kick to it, while at the same time being very smooth and easy to drink.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

This one is not for the novice.

Lagavulin 16 yr old - (I think I paid about $70 for the bottle)

Probably the antithesis to the Balvenie Doublewood (also a favorite), the Lagavulin is deeply smoky, peaty and a little harsh. It benefits greatly from a little splash of water (as most Scotches do), mellowing the attack and bringing the flavors to the surface.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year bourbon

This bourbon comes in 107 proof or 90 proof. It costs $28.99 in my local liquor store.

I drink the 107 proof with a splash of spring water and two ice cubes. It has a hint of caramel, it is complex yet very smooth. I enjoy smoking a Montecristo # 2 cigar with my cocktail.

Old 02-09-2007, 04:02 PM

Bowmore Islay 12 year old single malt. A friend brought this over for me last year and I got hooked on it. It has the usual peat and smoky palate but it is nicely balanced with a slightly sweet taste of honey. The flavors are long and complex. It's a real, 'sitting around the fire in the winter' scotch. It retails for £25 in the UK, not sure about the US.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:05 PM

This is my favorite budget bourbon, its about 18$/bottle, and stands up to a lot of bourbons that cost 10 to 15$ more. I would say its better than more expensive bourbons, but there isnt a consistent quality from bottle to bottle, sometimes, I buy a bottle and it is absolutely great, smooth, full of sweetness, caramal, and vanilla, with a nice warm punch in your chest. Other times, its just meh.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 PM

SWEET THREAD!

I am no Scotch/whiskey afficiando, but I have had some good Scotch over the last month or so. So far this has been KING:

Macallan Sherry Oak - 18 Years Old.

Voted best whisky in the world by Whisky Magazine in 2004.

The Macallan's benchmark excellence is nowhere more evident than in the 18 Years Old expression.

"Due to the unfailing regularity with which it wins, we no longer include The Macallan 18 year old in our malt tastings. We have instead enshrined it in our hall of fame."
US Quarterly Review
TASTING NOTES

Colour:
Light Mahogany.

Nose:
Dried fruits and ginger with hints of citrus, vanilla and cinnamon.

Palate:
Rich dried fruits, spice, clove, orange and wood smoke.

Finish:
Full dried fruits and sweet toffee, with a hint of ginger and wood smoke.

Winner of Gold Medal at the International Spirits Challenge awards.

I have compared this against ~5 or so other Whiskey's and this is just perfection. This tastes like butter. I have been inspired again to enjoy the finer points of alcohol.

Sincere thanks to EL D and friends for the Whiskey recommendation thread that led me down this path. If I get a DUI, I will PM you the bill.

I have a bottle on my counter right now. Tasting is at 8:30pm EST. I paid $127.72.

FYC
Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM

Hope this doesn't upset the serious whiskey drinkers. Just snapped this bottle....

Argentine whiskey.....The Breeder's Choice.
10pesos per bottle ($3.30).

There is actually a suggestion of smokey/oakey flavour.

Gives evil hangovers.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM

If you've never tried rye, this is not a bad way to dip your toe in. Your toe will get singed off, but forget about that and concentrate on the taste, which at first I find to be oily and pleasantly bittersweet, but then quickly crescendos into a bloodbath of oak, pistol smoke, and indian killing testosterone. (Feathers.) The label says "Mild and Mellow"...a hilarious joke. A desperate lie.

Do you walk around the world quoting Doc Holliday, or trying to create situations where you might get to quote him? Well looky here! A wagon wheel! Well, no, this is no wagon wheel...it's rye whiskey. Skin this smokewagon.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Woodford Reserve

Got it as a gift from a friend. Around $40 for a 750 mL bottle, I believe.

Carmel overtones, light aftertaste, smooth and easy. Nice sipping bourbon. I enjoy it.

Also, I just found about this "American Whiskey Trail". Sounds like fun!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Whiskey_Trail
Old 02-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Laphroaig 10 yr

Having some right now on the rocks, which is how I prefer it. Peaty, smoky, and dry. Strong without being overpowering, sharper than it is round. I don't know what it costs, got it as a gift.

Was given a 25 year old Bowmore this week, but I'm not a huge fan. Plan on trying to trade it for something else at the local liquor store, if they'll do it. Suggestions welcome, pls, I think I should be able to get something in the ~$150 range.