Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

And your point? You're trading two young cost controlled league average players who have upside, for the best pitcher in baseball who's going to demand a risky contract extension. This is terrible enough on its own. Throw in another prospect that holds some value and its lollercoaster bad.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:12 AM

My point is that this "risky" contract extension is for one of the the least-risky, most talented pitcher in the league. Throw in another mid-level prospect that would never see the field for the Yankees and it means nothing.

You wouldn't trade two league average players for the best pitcher in a league which is dominated by pitching?

If you are going to say Santana and his contract is risky, then what would you say about Hughes?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't trade two league average players for the best pitcher in a league which is dominated by pitching?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I'm discussing this with you. But Hughes/Melky are essentially playing for almost free. Both are worth big contracts on the open market.

You're trading a ton of cost controlled years of MLB average players who could develop into star level talent for... the right to a pay a premium to the best pitcher in baseball? And aren't these contracts given to premium pitchers almost all huge flops? Have young pitchers not shown dominance (Verlander, Liriano, King Felix, Joba, Carmona etc etc)?

Whatev.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I'm discussing this with you. But Hughes/Melky are essentially playing for almost free. Both are worth big contracts on the open market.

You're trading a ton of cost controlled years of MLB average players who could develop into star level talent for... the right to a pay a premium to the best pitcher in baseball? And aren't these contracts given to premium pitchers almost all huge flops? Have young pitchers not shown dominance (Verlander, Liriano, King Felix, Joba, Carmona etc etc)?

Whatev.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem, as I see it, has to do with contention for the World Series next year. If the Yankees put both Hughes and Joba in the rotation (or Hughes and Kennedy), both of those guys will be on strict pitch counts/innings counts all year. This means the bullpen will be in games early, leading to a fatigued bullpen. The Yankees will have a very difficult time competing in October of 2008 with a bullpen beat up from a season of overuse - just look at what happened to the Mets down the stretch.

Now it could shake out several ways but having Wang and Santana averaging almost 7 innings a start will go a long way to nullifying the 5 - 6 averages that Hughes and Chamberlain put up.

If the Yankees don't acquire Johan Santana, their chances for a 2008 World Series are not great in my mind. Their chances go up for future World Series bids - but keep in mind that the Yankees' position players are almost all in a decline phase. They almost certainly should not hold on to all 3 young pitchers as a result, despite the fact that they are cost controlled, etc. These are the Yankees.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatev.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah your points are very valid

though Santana>>>>> guys like Hampton, Zito
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatev.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah your points are very valid

though Santana>>>>> guys like Hampton, Zito

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you can assume Hughes/Melky/Kennedy/and even Joba will ever be as dominant as Santana has been and will most likely continue to be.

In truth the way Yankees spend...the size of the contract doesn't really matter given we'll just waste that money by overpaying for some other Free Agent who isn't worth anything close to it compared to Santana.

If you knew with certainty that Santana will make it to free agency then u wait...but that is highly highly unlikely.

So u make the trade. Melky/Hughes/+ another prospect we don't really care about.

I can live with (hopefully)
Santana
Petite
Joba
Kennedy
Moose.

and a trio of Santana + Kennedy + Joba for the next 5 years.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can live with (hopefully)
Santana
Petite
Joba
Kennedy
Moose.

and a trio of Santana + Kennedy + Joba for the next 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're forgetting a decent pitcher named Chien Ming Wang.