Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Re: unsung actors

Ron Livingston:

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qjVwelGWVUB.gmjzbkF/SIG=12n5sm7rb/EXP=1189811029/**http%3A//www.hbo.com/city/img/episode/season06/ep76_jack_at_table.jpg[/img]
Old 09-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Andre Braugher

Guy is killer. I first saw him in Homicide: Life on the Street and was utterly blown away. If you can, watch the episode 'Black and Blue' to see him in top form. Or any of the episodes in season 5 when he is recovering from a stroke. Amazing performances.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andre Braugher

Guy is killer. I first saw him in Homicide: Life on the Street and was utterly blown away. If you can, watch the episode 'Black and Blue' to see him in top form. Or any of the episodes in season 5 when he is recovering from a stroke. Amazing performances.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with these threads. To me, Braugher is completely sung.

In addition to Homicide, he was in Glory, Primal Fear, that crap movie with Nick Cage as an angel and I forget what else. The FX show, Thief, with him wasn't that great as a whole, but he was awesome. The scenes between him and his (white) step daughter were amazing.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Andre Braugher

[/ QUOTE ]

He is pretty amazing on Homicide. In fact, I think he raises the bar a bit too high for the show. No one else on the show comes close to his level imo and his performance, at least for me, illuminates the failings of other cast members.

I really wish they would have done a few more takes with say, Giardello. I like the character/actor but so many of his lines come off wooden.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is the problem with these threads. To me, Braugher is completely sung.

In addition to Homicide, he was in Glory, Primal Fear, that crap movie with Nick Cage as an angel and I forget what else. The FX show, Thief, with him wasn't that great as a whole, but he was awesome. The scenes between him and his (white) step daughter were amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

All secondary roles for the most part, and even Thief was canceled early and barely watched (even with the emmy nod). Going by your point, every person nominated in this thread wouldn't count.

I assumed the thread wasn't to name obscure actors nobody has heard of. IMO, the thrust was to find actors that have a decent body of work but never got the world class recognition that their talent deserves. Ask 20 random people who Andre Braugher is and i'd be surprised if 5 people knew. Ask those same people who Jack Nicholson or John Malkovich is and the number rises dramatically.

I'll put up another though, that I'm sure nobody would have a problem with:

Avery Brooks

EDIT:

I'd also say that Jason Strathairn would have qualified before he did Good Night, and Good Luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:45 PM

I just realized that until now, I had thought Avery Brooks and Terry Crews were the same person.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:01 AM

Be excited, be be excited.

And whatever happened to Phillip Rhee?

Old 09-14-2007, 01:41 AM

Terry Crews

You might know him as "gang member" in Training Day or perhaps "cheeseburger eddy" in The Longest Yard.

Truthfully though this guy is incredible funny. His comedic ability is top notch. He was the stand out in such awful movies as White Chicks, Friday after next, and Soul Plane. I also find his acting in Everybody Hates Chris to be stand out as well.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Did you read my post before posting that, Abones, or was it just serendipity?