Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you have changed your beliefs, has your profession had anything to do with it?
YES 2 8.00%
NO 18 72.00%
I HAVE NOT CHANGED MY BELIEFS 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Stiffing

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think so. keep in mind i had erroneously pictured the situation as he was ordering 6 beers at one time to take down to the party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deleted my post as I was rereading what you said because I'm not quite sure how you're picturing it all happening. My take was that they had ordered 3 drinks, 3 times and were paying with cash without tipping.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hey guy, when 30 people are calling you a douchebag and you're the only one left vehemently defending your point, you should step back and take a look at the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at logic. Little has been tossed out to make me rescind my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Restaurants in America are set up for tipping. They are paid far below minimum wage because of the fact that they make money from tips. If tipping didn't exist, stuff on the menu would cost approximately 15% more to make up for it. What would you do then, not go out to eat?

You are freeloading on the system. This is why you are a douche. If everyone acted the way you did, the industry would have to change. But you clearly know all of this and still think you should be exempt so I don't know why I'm bothering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, stop acting like any of this makes me obligated for anything. I would be "obligated" if it was put into the price (and let's not act like the amenities of a restaurant isn't put into the price anyway; it's not my fault the restaurant is pocketing this and not the employees). Really, I couldn't care less if every restaurant was like Hometown Buffet and the food was already made, or I ordered it and it was made and I got up and got my [censored]. I'm for damn sure not going to the restaurant because of some great waitresses or something.

I already don't go out to eat. The closest thing I do to go out to eat is go to Mix Bowl. I rarely go to restaurants and when I do, the vast majority of them suck and I never go again; that or I'm not paying (for the tip, at least).

lol @ freeloading the system. If the system is set up poorly, that doesn't make it my obligation to follow it just because I happen to live in America. Ever heard the phrase, I live in America but I'm not an American?

[ QUOTE ]

Deleted my post as I was rereading what you said because I'm not quite sure how you're picturing it all happening. My take was that they had ordered 3 drinks, 3 times and were paying with cash without tipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my take as well. if you are paying cash and don't have a tab going, tip every trip to the bar, or at least let the guy know you're going to take care of him.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At my college graduation dinner, I went upstairs to the bar with my cousins to get a drink. We ordered about three beers each and at the end of the third, the bartender said, "hey do you guys plan on leaving a tip... I have to make a living you know." (I guess he was expecting me to tip him after each drink I had ordered) I told him "not anymore" and went back downstairs

After spending over a grand downstairs, I was slmost tempted to ask for the manager of the restaurant.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to clarify, are you saying you were planning on tipping at the end but then didn't because he asked? is there a reason you weren't tipping for each drink? was it on a tab or were you paying cash for each round?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he was paying cash but what is he supposed to do, after every drink is poured lay down a dollar bill? why not just wait until all six beers are served and then tip? i assume he was waiting at the bar for the 6 to be poured or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case. I was only planning on having one, so when I got a 2nd and third I just paid in cash. I was going to leave a generous tip, but who says this? Also, the service was horrible in general was we had to get the bartender's attention every time we wanted a drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

When paying each time its pretty common to tip per drink. Its clear that you weren't trying to stiff the bartender here, but many will assume that you're a huge cheapskate here and really not pay too much attention to you because you aren't helping them out.

I think the bartender's comment is out of line, but its pretty common for service to go down if it doesn't seem that a tip will be given.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is the case. I was only planning on having one, so when I got a 2nd and third I just paid in cash. I was going to leave a generous tip, but who says this? Also, the service was horrible in general was we had to get the bartender's attention every time we wanted a drink.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you weren't a tipper. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think the bartender's comment is out of line, but its pretty common for service to go down if it doesn't seem that a tip will be given.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with a bartender thinking along these lines, but him saying this to me got me mad. There were around 5 people sitting at the bar, including us, so I thought he would have just figured we were going to tip him when leaving.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

have you never ordered beers at a bar before? if you are paying cash for each drink or round, it is completely standard to leave a tip ($1/drink, less for several is ok) when you receive the drink ($5 drink, you leave $6, or when he brings you change for a $20, you leave a $1). obviously if you're running a tab it's different, but you're saying you were paying cash for the drinks, so while it may have been rude for the bartender to say anything, it was perfectly reasonable for him to assume you were most likely stiffing him.

edited to remove extra nested quotes. sorry
Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM

guys, there is no need to quote five posts in order to make a point. we all read the thread. i am getting sick of reminding people of this.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i already gave you a reason. there is an implied contract between you and the server that you will tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also an implied contract when I come up to a stop sign to, well, stop. But when there's no one there and it's late at night, I'm not going to fully stop, and who knows, maybe when I really need to get home and I'm dead tired and there's no one remotely around, I'll just go right through it without even slowing down. I'm sure that's something the majority of American drivers have done, and I doubt the common perception of them is being a douche.

[ QUOTE ]
it is customary to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf, it's also customary to open the door for women or just to hold open the door in general if someone is about to walk in. And I usually do it, but only because I feel like it and I think it's a good thing to do that costs me very little to nothing at all, not because it's customary. That is not a reason to do something, to be a sheep.

[ QUOTE ]
you are receiving services in bad faith when you go in and say "live up to my random and unreasonable expectations and i will shower you with gifts."

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I let the waiter know beforehand that I will not tip unless they are excellent then it's in good faith?

lawl @ strawman. My expectations are unreasonable? What are my expectations again? Do you even know? I'm not randomly going into a Denny's and expecting the dudes to fall over me or something. Part of the reason I don't go out to restaurants is because it's so rare to find good service and I don't want to bother having to stab in the dark for it. If everyone was good at their jobs, I would have no problem tipping. If you're telling me I have to abide by a so-called implied contract because it's "customary" to do so regardless of performance, well, I give a big f-you to that contract.

[ QUOTE ]
you know that the person is going to provide you a basic service with the expected return of a small cost, and you refuse to pay it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only refuse to pay it if he doesn't do a good job. If I'm paying for it, it better be worth paying for. If it's not, I don't tip. That is far from unreasonable.

[ QUOTE ]
so basically, you either go out to eat extremely rarely

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
or you live somewhere you can hit-and-run on servers until they forget you and you can slither back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[ QUOTE ]
if there's nothing wrong with not tipping, why don't you go back there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if I'm not going to tip, it's because YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO SPEND MONEY ON. That includes the restaurant as a whole.

So why would I ever go back? I would be wasting money. Unfortunately they DO make you pay for the meal you ate, even if it sucks. Those are the breaks.

[ QUOTE ]
or better yet, if almost every restaurant you go to fails to meet your expectations, why do you keep going out?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't.

[ QUOTE ]
because your story is just a cover for the fact that you're an antisocial cheapskate. or you're simply trolling/lying, another strong possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually extremely generous to people and services worth it. For example, I do tip when I get a haircut; even though I think it's preposterous I'm spending $15 on a cut, the dudes usually do a great job and, when my hair is dirty, they'll wash it without adding it on as a mandatory cost, etc. etc. So I tip $5 no problem.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM

so to summarize, not only are you so cheap that you never tip, but you also fail at basic bathing, and go to the barber shop for a free shower at no extra cost.

since vyse is too smart for me to beat in an argument, f it i am just banning him.