Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Foxwoods Sat $500 - AA passive line on drawy board

This is a while back, but still makes me question (not saying if it was good or bad outcome, just wondering how you would play this against a super aggressive opponent.

So 68 people started, down to around 25. Average stack is at 28K. Im sitting in the BB with 42K. Villain sitting in the CO in hand is chip leader of tourny with ~100K and had been raising a couple times per orbit and had been uber aggressive on flop and turn play when players checked to him.

Blinds 800-1600. Villain raises from cutoff to 4500. I have AA in BB and decide to slowplay and smooth call. Flop comes KJ10 rainbow. Pretty gross flop. I was really unsure what to do here. So I checked. and he fired per usual 7K.

What do you here?? I thought about just pushing, but I didnt feel like playing for my stack/or lose him with a worse hand, with this type of board, so I just smooth called to see a turn. Plus I thought he would fire again on this scary board with ATC it seemed if checked to on the turn.

The turn came 10. I liked this card... thought about leading, but kinda played it off that I was weakish and checked again. He pushed all-in. Hero?? Easy call the way I played it?

Comments on all streets appreciated vs this type of opponent. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Sat $500 - AA passive line on drawy board

I think thats an easy call, really, your only worried about a flopped straight. If he has filled up here, wouldn't you put him on a vlue bet type bet rather than a shove? I don't exactly know what hes trying to rep in this case but i think more times than not your going to find yourself a huge favorite rather than a dog. Id say somewhere between 5-10% of the time are you actually beat here. You played your hand so slow, he could easily hold AK, KQ, espec. given his image. Can you PM me with the hand result? Im curious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM

I dont think I would have played the hand this way...smooth calling pre is ok, to mix it up and based on image he will Cbet most anything but I would have reraised the Cbet.

As played I call...sorry he showed a 10?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you here?? I thought about just pushing, but I didnt feel like playing for my stack

[/ QUOTE ]

stop doing that and you'll get better results than whatever you lost to in this particular badly played hand
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM

I mean why is it particularly bad against this type of opponent? What I mean with that quote (fearing to play for my stack), is I didnt feel like shoving right then and there without seeing a turn card. I thought that 80% time, better hand is calling and folding out a bluff. I know its a thin line to take being this passive, but I thought it would prove to be great against this type of opponent to double up.

Take this into account. This guy has been raising alot. He is the chip leader. Uber aggressive. If I check raise all in on the flop, do you think a bare King comes along for 40% of his stack?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean why is it particularly bad against this type of opponent? What I mean with that quote (fearing to play for my stack), is I didnt feel like shoving right then and there without seeing a turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you want him, or you, to see a turn card? which turn cards do you think will be particularly helpful in your decision to do whatever? are you checking a turn brick again and giving anything from a queen to something dumb like T9 *two* free cards? how about when the turn is a 9? what about when it's a queen, and he had KQ/QJ and was happily going to stack off until you slowplayed yourself out of a 60/40 for a monster pot?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that 80% time, better hand is calling and folding out a bluff. I know its a thin line to take being this passive, but I thought it would prove to be great against this type of opponent to double up.

Take this into account. This guy has been raising alot. He is the chip leader. Uber aggressive. If I check raise all in on the flop, do you think a bare King comes along for 40% of his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be a good line of reasoning if the flop was 752.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean why is it particularly bad against this type of opponent? What I mean with that quote (fearing to play for my stack), is I didnt feel like shoving right then and there without seeing a turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you want him, or you, to see a turn card? which turn cards do you think will be particularly helpful in your decision to do whatever? are you checking a turn brick again and giving anything from a queen to something dumb like T9 *two* free cards? how about when the turn is a 9? what about when it's a queen, and he had KQ/QJ and was happily going to stack off until you slowplayed yourself out of a 60/40 for a monster pot?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that 80% time, better hand is calling and folding out a bluff. I know its a thin line to take being this passive, but I thought it would prove to be great against this type of opponent to double up.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be a good line of reasoning if the flop was 752.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it's the opposite.

and given the smooth call pre i like this line, the turn card was the best you could hope for and check seems to be right. fold or call is pretty much based on a read, but if it's pot sized i would probably fold here.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM

duck,

the pot on the flop is ~17K and we have 40K behind (24K/33K if we just call.)

making the wrong decision on whatever turn vs. a LAG that will often two barrel is so bad that you're going to have to be very close to 100% sure it's the right one - on a KJT (some card) board.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM

I like the turn card a lot now call.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM

I actually loved the turn card and snap called his push. He showed me K8 off and doubled up to become chipleader.