Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Why Can\'t People Forgive?

[ QUOTE ]

This stuff gets to me because I almost became a sex-offender after an argument with my live-in girlfriend. I was arrested for domestic abuse (I never laid a hand on her and the charges were later dropped), and had I been convicted I would have been on these lists for the rest of my life.

I simply don't have faith enough in the system to be able to believe they wouldn't screw this up royally.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you weren't convicted.

Also, does all domestic abuse = sex offense?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM

Haha one thing that I just remembered, from a Bill Hicks skit, is that I would imagine most of the throw-the-book at them types are your Republican Bible belt types as well (at least in my experience, usually the wussy city liberals are soft on crime [exaggerated stereotypes for effect]).

Isn't one of the main points of the Bible to teach forgiveness?

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. Do you think when Jesus comes back, he's really going to want to see a [censored] cross? Ow! Maybe that's why he hasn't shown up yet...it's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a sniper rifle pendant... Just thinking of John, Jackie. We love him. Trying to keep that memory alive, baby. [mimes shooting a rifle] I did that routine in Fyffe, Alabama, and after the show these three rednecks came up to me. 'Hey, buddy! C'mere! Hey Mr. Comedian! C'mere! Hey buddy, we're Christians and we don't like what you said!' I said 'Well, then forgive me.'"
Old 05-07-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if the sex offender does not drive a car?

Make them wear a green hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we can pin a gold star to their shirt?

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize how insulting this is right?

The license plates, registry database etc, are not extending the punishment after their time is "served".

[/ QUOTE ]

My post was tongue-in-cheek. If they are so dangerous, keep them in jail. If I want to go out and rape little kids, I'll take the plates off my car or steal someone's plates or find some way to do it. Extended jail time isn't a deterrent for repeat offenders, why would figuring out a way to get around a license plate be?

Again, if you're saying they're not rehabilitated when they get out of jail then keep them in jail longer or find other means of rehabilitating them.

And the people who scream "but wut if it happened to you!" in this thread don't address the face that sex offenders have a lower recidivism than other criminals. If your point is that that statistic includes 18 yo's getting bj's from 17 yo's, then you need to realize that these same people are also being placed under undue hardship.

I am interested in the recidivism of "hardcore" sex offenders (ie guys who rape 8 year olds or whatever) compared to less serious sex crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of the registry databases, lisence plates etc, is that there will be regular checkups by a public official that the sex offender is complying, and that if they comply the public at large will know who is a sex offender etc, and keep their child away from them.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the people who scream "but wut if it happened to you!" in this thread don't address the face that sex offenders have a lower recidivism than other criminals. If your point is that that statistic includes 18 yo's getting bj's from 17 yo's, then you need to realize that these same people are also being placed under undue hardship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most have already brought this up as being an issue...I think most agree it is stupid to group them in all together.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have insurance in case my stuff gets ripped off. If someone fondles my daughter.....
Old 05-07-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this problem is a two edged blade. sex offenders will never be "cured" and are very likely to commit another sex crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, FALSE.

Why do people keep spreading this crap?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 PM

this is like the dumbest law ever. Why don't we just take all sex offenders and deport them to australia?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This stuff gets to me because I almost became a sex-offender after an argument with my live-in girlfriend. I was arrested for domestic abuse (I never laid a hand on her and the charges were later dropped), and had I been convicted I would have been on these lists for the rest of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is this a sexual offense?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Basically these people can never have families with this law. Good luck to a guy who has a kid giving him a ride somewhere with this license plate. They will be harassed by people wherever they go.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically these people can never have families with this law. Good luck to a guy who has a kid giving him a ride somewhere with this license plate. They will be harassed by people wherever they go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem if these sickos refrained from breeding.