Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 11:14 PM

Default ravens superbow champs?

odds makers dont really seem to be giving the ravens much of a chance.... is there something i'm missing here? mvp qb reuniting with his probowl reciever....jamal lewis bound for a bounceback year and todd heap... not to mention ray lewis edd reed suggs and pryce on the otherside of the ball... they're lookin pretty good to me.... anyone else?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: ravens superbow champs?

by the way i am not a ravens fan, infact i don't like them as a fan at all
Old 07-20-2006, 12:59 AM

I am a fan, and they look amazing
Old 07-20-2006, 01:55 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
jamal lewis bound for a bounceback year

[/ QUOTE ]

he probably won't be worse than last year, but none of the projections i've seen indicate he'll be a big asset.

not saying this is a bad bet, but lewis is not a good reason to make it.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:28 AM

IMO, Jamal Lewis is one of those backs that is almost 100% reliant on having a big kick-ass line in front of him. If their line isn't better than it was last year, I don't see why they would have a running game this coming year.

As for McNair, I don't have any confidence in him ever returning to being a top flight QB.

I still love their defense, but I think they are the 3rd best team in their division and have little chance of getting out of a brutally tough AFC. I don't know what odds they are listed at, but I'd put them about 8th or 9th on my list of AFC teams.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:35 PM

Any guesses how i feel on this one?
Lol... I think that the ravens' best bet is on them to win the super bowl, and at 28.69 (at Pinny) i think there's definitely some value there... They can beat Cincy, b/c in the playoffs a good defence beats a good offence, especially since Balt's DBs are so good. I think that the most important pickup might be their new Nose Tackle Ngati - since he'll keep the blockers off of Ray-Ray, and the ravens shouldn't get worn down physically like the past two years (yes, it's true... they wear themselves down b/c their D is on the field for like 35 minutes a game and their D line hasn't been too stout).

McNair will be huge too - mainly b/c i don't care how old he is, you CAN'T put 9 in the box with a former MVP at QB (especially one with wounded pride and a point to make), the players will have confidence in the huddle, and i think the WRs will all do well this year (Clayton is talented and is now in season 2).

Jamal is risky: i read on ESPN that either he's worn down or just had a bad year... I think that's a great point, he just plays such a physical style, but i think Chester Taylor isn't too big of a dropoff. Still, Jamal must be licking his chops at the idea of 7 in the box again, and the D must be ecstatic at a QB that won't lose the game on them.

I think Baltimore is a great darkhorse, b/c if everything comes together they can be really tough to beat, and if it does, i don't see anyone stopping them (except maybe Indy, or NE).

In terms of talent/ true ability, i'd put them somewhere between 5th-8th in the AFC (behind, in order: Pitts, Denver, Indy, NE, and right there with Cincy, SD, and KC).

Just my opinion....

Oh yeah, don't be surprised if they don't set the world on fire right away - good defensive teams usually take a while to gel, and they're a true smashmouth team that usually comes together in November-December... You might even be able to bet on Indy, Denver and Miami, see them start 7-1, and then sell them off, b/c the collapse will come as sure as Peyton will choke, Jake isn't good enough, and Miami will suck in the cold. KC might be in that group too - their offence might just dominate for a while and then slow down.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:51 PM

if the ravens start off 0-2 which is a decent chance considering their competittion against the eagles and giants should i expect the line to change much?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:25 PM

chester taylor is no longer a raven. Mike Anderson from the broncos is the the ravens other back.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:28 PM

i do not know a lot about sports betting... does starting off a season 0-2 guaranteed to affect the line on the team winning the superbowl
Old 07-24-2006, 10:05 PM

omg i suck.
still that helps i think.
i still think their personalities are pretty resilient, as is their style.
They're probably a decent value after 0-2, best value after 0-1, or 1-1ish... In the AFC 0-2 might be hard to overcome. I just find that they'll underwhelm for the first few games, and then turn it on...
But the Ravens do look great, even if they don't have Chester Taylor. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]