Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: EDFs bed buying expertise requested.

hey, go to a large bed store and lay on a bunch until you find the one you like. you spend almost a third of your life on it so dont skimp.
alot of people use a temper foam top about two inches thick on their current mattress and it works. costco sells them.i have tried it and it is good but i went back to a high quality regular deep mattress and a happy camper.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM

wtf, do you not own a bed? you've lived in chicago for a year!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, go to a large bed store and lay on a bunch until you find the one you like. you spend almost a third of your life on it so dont skimp.
alot of people use a temper foam top about two inches thick on their current mattress and it works. costco sells them.i have tried it and it is good but i went back to a high quality regular deep mattress and a happy camper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, definitely go try a bunch out. There's a huge personal preference factor involved, some people swear by the foam stuff, personally I don't. Be wary of "pillow top" beds, because while they are very comfortable, the top of it wears out faster than a normal mattress; instead, just buy a good mattress pad.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 AM

We covered this in the negotiation threads, but in case OP or anyone else didn't know, don't pay anything close to the price listed on the mattress. Assume the mattress salespeople are trying to scam you, because they are. Negotiate your balls off, pretend to walk out of the store, etc.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM

Sleep number../thread
Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf, do you not own a bed? you've lived in chicago for a year!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when I thought I might only be here temporarily I got an aerobed. It's actually OK but I want to upgrade......
Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We covered this in the negotiation threads, but in case OP or anyone else didn't know, don't pay anything close to the price listed on the mattress. Assume the mattress salespeople are trying to scam you, because they are. Negotiate your balls off, pretend to walk out of the store, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know if this works for all beds? I gave my friend this advice when he was buying a Tempurpedic and every place he went was absolutely adamant that there was no negotiation and that the sales price was fixed by the manufacturer. It didn't really make sense to me because obviously they are making some kind of money off the sale, and if they really want the sale, they can just decrease their cut....plus it seems when they charge that ridiculous of a price for a mattress, somethings gotta give.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
California king for the win. If you have the money, the Swiss make beds well. Have you tried going to any store?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I need a new bed too, ASAP. What is and how do i buy a California king bed? TY. Also, google didn't make it obvious to me. Sorry if I'm an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cal King doesnt refer to brand or type, just size. It's the largest 'standard' bed size in the US at I believe 72 X 84 inches.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:57 PM

I have a friend who managed a high-end mattress store for a while and he says:

Minimum to spend on a queen size mattress is $1K. Most stores will offer $500 to $600 loss leader mattresses, but the problem with these is that instead of convoluted foam around the edges they have a coil or wire for edge support. This causes the mattress to warp at the edges, especially if you sit on the side of the bed to tie your shoes or whatever.

He suggests that you do NOT go to a mattress store for the mattress -- go to a nice furniture store. You will not be able to negotiate at the furniture store (while you can at a mattress store), but you will still get a much better deal at the former because mattress stores are way overpriced.

FWIW I have a King Simmens Beauty Rest exceptionale, retail $2,600, and I am happy with it (the friend I described in this thread had to give it to me to pay off a gambling debt lol).
Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM

dean,

that was retarded. you make too much money to sleep on an aerobed. (and have since prior to arriving in chicago.)

go to a mattress store and spread out on a few. the ridiculousness of people saying don't do anything smaller than a king is pretty funny as well. you're not 6'6", and you live in a smallish apartment. get a full or a queen bed (probably a queen). get a bed you like. probably something with a pillowtop, though you should know that you can buy the pillowtopness of a separately.