Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:06 PM

Default PLO25 re-raised pot - I bluff into 3 opponents

The play at this table was extremely straightforward. People would frequently call pre-flop but would only bet post-flop with big hands. For several consecutive hands the hand was checked down all the way to the river.

I am aware that my play is not standard at all but I'm interested in comments about my thought process as I'm very new to PLO.

On the flop I figured I have the second nut flush blocker and nobody had the nut flush (they would have bet it) so flush-wise at the worst I am up against a baby flush.

I suspect AA could be out there somewhere (likely UTG) but he can't really call my bet with just one pair. Only hand I'm really afraid of is QQ but since nobody bet I can discount that possibility somewhat.

For these reasons I chose to use my position.

Any thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $42.10
CO: $113.95
Hero: $25
SB: $33.05
BB: $42.85

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $1.35</font>, SB folds, BB calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $6</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($24.1, 4 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in $19.25</font>
Old 08-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: PLO25 re-raised pot - I bluff into 3 opponents

Hope everyone folded. Even if your bluff is called, you can now get action on your flushes.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:41 PM

if you think that they wouldnt call with flush its very wrong
they would
it looks like you take the pot in position, nothing more
i personally dont like to bluff over 3 opponents, esp in such drawy board

i prefer to make half pot bet, then pot the turn that way
(if stacks were deeper)

as played, i would check this flop
and probably bet the turn (not with all chips)
Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(...)

as played, i would check this flop
and probably bet the turn (not with all chips)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand. The chances that I am ahead on the turn are very slim unless I spike a K. You think I will bluff out all 3 for a smaller bet on the turn after I announced that I don't have a flush by checking the flop behind?

I think if I check behind the flop I am done with the hand unless I improve.

Again, I'm very new to PLO so I might have no clue what I am talking about so can you elaborate on the merits of a small turn bet?
Old 08-05-2007, 03:58 PM

Alavet's point is that by small betting random turn card, rather than flop you get called in less often because when ppl check through on two consecutive streets they are not interested in the pot. I dont know what numbers you can bet on turn, because if you half-pot you end up folding to a reraise with seven bucks behind. Alavet did bring up a good point that betting from the button is often seen by opponents as a positional move. That said, if your opponents are as passive as you say, bluffing may win you some pots.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the explanation.

[ QUOTE ]
(...)
Alavet did bring up a good point that betting from the button is often seen by opponents as a positional move. That said, if your opponents are as passive as you say, bluffing may win you some pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the opponents in this case were not the types to pick off or even spot a positional bluff. I am aware, however, that my read needs to be pretty good to be sure of this.

I guess given that I had this solid read my thoughts regarding the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and all were alright for a PLO beginner. I probably did not properly take baby flushes into consideration, though. I trust you guys that they will call more often than I thought and keep this in mind.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:26 AM

I do not like your reasoning. People love to slowplay the nut flush and/or make hero calls with a smaller flush or set. I agree that if the turn is checked through, there is a decent chance your bluff will work then.