Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM

Default $60/18 Bubble Situation

5 left, 4 pay. Stacks are 11k, 4k 9k, 1.5k, 1.5k..Blinds are 300/600 ~50..Big stack and 4k stack fold. Villian with 9k shoves all in. Other short stack with 1200 behind after posting SB calls. I have 900 behind after posting BB and look down at Qh Jh. Call or Fold..And if fold, whats the calling range??
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: $60/18 Bubble Situation

i call and gamble, if you fold here, you lose your FE in the sb and for the rest of your hands.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:21 PM

I think it's a call if you cover SB at the beginning of the hand (prob close but I am bad at these situations) and am sure it's a fold if you don't.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 PM

think you have to call here and hope your vs underpair or 2 other live cards
Old 11-15-2007, 03:15 PM

what do you think the SB's calling range is when he calls the bigger stack's jam? I will add that the two bigger stacks have been raising for a few orbits, and in multiple cases 3betting eachother, grinding us smaller stacks down...and basically not letting us get in a pot. the two chances i had to open a pot UTG I had 5 high with very little FE. The SB had been playing a fairly nitty game. Does that change things? For the record I folded after tanking for 30 seconds.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a call if you cover SB at the beginning of the hand (prob close but I am bad at these situations) and am sure it's a fold if you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's the whole key. If the big stack knocks both you out, you want to take 4th. OP, are you saying you guys have exactly the same amount of chips? In that case I'm not sure what happens. I think it's random or something. If it's exact, I'd fold and hope bigstack wins, since it's obvious shorty has a hand.

FYI - it really doesn't mean much to say "bubble" in these, since the difference between 5-4-3-2-1 is all the same. Don't be afraid to take any risk on the "bubble" that you would take 4-handed. Also be aware people really don't want to bubble, even though it's a flat payout, and look for spots to take advantage.

Of course there are a lot of times you don't want to be risky at all, like when the table dynamic makes it looks like you might be able to coast into 2nd.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM

thanks..obviously bubbling is not the concern if I thought calling was the EV+ play. its just trying to get a read on their ranges given the bubble dynamic facing myself and the SB. He actually had me covered by 50 which did factor in the decision not because Im trying to limp into money but because I am hard pressed to do better than 3rd to begin with and I 'could' be dominated here..just thought it was a real interesting spot. In the brief time I had to analyze, i put the SB on a better hand range that what he ultimately showed down with but thats just the thing..If he has a bigger range than the raiser and he wins the hand, now I am the clear short stack and very crippled..I'm thinking it sucks but I gotta call here and take my lumps for being in the position in the first place..
Results:

Big stack had 5 9 suited..SB had Q8 suited and SB won the hand..I woulda made two pair and won. clearly the range I assigned to the SB was off.