Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: lil wayne

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Lil Wayne is not from the south. He is from New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]
More importantly his style is entirely based on Jay-Z, DipSet and other New York acts.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget philly.
while the ghost writing allegations of Gillie Da Kid writing the Carter are really up in the air.. there's no denying that his whole attitude and swagger changed during the time gillie was signed to cash money.

plus wayne says bol and thats philly slang
Old 10-05-2007, 01:11 AM

lol at dids trying to be an arbiter of what's good for hip hop and then posting a bunch of white people who can't rap

i saw hangar 18 at irving plaza and they were even more fat and out of breath than el-p. since none of their songs are above 50 beats per minute that is pretty impressive

all that being said, i really don't see what all the hype is about with weezy. i have heard him do one or two verses that were pretty sick, but he seems totally derivative to me and basically every new track he puts out sounds more and more like he is guzzling a concoction of cough syrup, hennessey and barbiturates.

i will check out a few of the mix tapes but i kinda doubt it will make me care.

the only recent rap albums i have enjoyed have been nas and ghostface, and even those were not nearly as good as their older stuff.

EDIT: oh yeah and the roots are still hot IMO
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Lil Wayne is not from the south. He is from New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]
More importantly his style is entirely based on Jay-Z, DipSet and other New York acts.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont forget philly.
while the ghost writing allegations of Gillie Da Kid writing the Carter are really up in the air.. there's no denying that his whole attitude and swagger changed during the time gillie was signed to cash money.

plus wayne says bol and thats philly slang

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, forgot about that. Only I can say in Wayne's defense even GDK said that he never really wrote for him, just taught him some techniques. But you are right, Lil Wayne pre-Tha Carter 1 was entirely different from him on Tha Carter 1 and afterwards, so Gillie definitely had a big influence being that he was there during that timeframe.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i have heard him do one or two verses that were pretty sick, but he seems totally derivative to me and basically every new track he puts out sounds more and more like he is guzzling a concoction of cough syrup, hennessey and barbiturates.

[/ QUOTE ]
When BG, Mannie, and Juvi left Cash Money they all claimed they weren't paid the amount they should have, and BG claimed Baby purposely got him and Mannie addicted to Heroine to impair their ability to realize he was literally stealing millions from him.

Young Buck just the other day claimed he has in his possession a tape of a conversation he had with Lil Wayne with Lil Wayne saying Baby was ripping him off and not paying him all his money. So I think it's pretty obvious who's pushing him to do the [censored] he's doing and why.

Birdman is the new Suge Knight.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:49 AM

lol at dids,so lil wayne can't rap but aesop rock can?

i mean i don't have a problem with that sort of dense,abstract,impressionistic rapping,in fact i love it when its done well,but the people who are doing it well are ghostface and the rza not off beat half assed pretentious retards like el-p and aesop rock.

as has been said numerous times on this thread lil wayne has some dodgy verses,which is only to be expected when he's putting out like 100 a month,but the fact remains he comes up with some innovative flows,clever verses and some excellent punchlines,if you really don't believe that you need to download da drought 3,someone posted a link upthread.

and to say that he's just jacking new york flows is ridiculous,all rap is an accumulation of what went before it,so with any rapper you can point to their predecessors and say that they're just ripping them off,but to suggest that lil wayne has brought nothing new to the table is insane...
Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 AM

haha that video is hilarious
Old 10-05-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and to say that he's just jacking new york flows is ridiculous,all rap is an accumulation of what went before it,so with any rapper you can point to their predecessors and say that they're just ripping them off,but to suggest that lil wayne has brought nothing new to the table is insane...

[/ QUOTE ]

its not that ridiculous and the only reason why is because back in 99 and [censored] he didnt sound anything like he does now

he took a lil break came back with the carter and a whole new steez...

imo your argument works better for people just comin out
Old 10-05-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he shouldn't be considered top 10 MC's out right now skills wise.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is a stretch. who do you have in mind?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:29 AM

these guys arent like an all-time list these guys are people who are relevant 2007 but skill wise they're better

jay-z, nas, common, lupe, saigon, kanye, ghostface, game, talib, [censored] i'd even say t.i.

and thats just mainstream
(shout out to ace rock and little brother, el-p, brother ali and cunninlynguists to name a few underground cats)

thats just skill though im not saying that lil wayne doesnt have his appeal and i can understand him being in people's top favorites cus i like listening to wayne i think hes pretty good but skillwise hes not top 10. skills being in the areas of lyrics, flow, and content mostly
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM

i think kanye is garbage. his flow is awful. i think he's a great producer and has some sick beats but as a rapper/lyricist i think he's way overrated.