Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: There are 2 dominant political parties in this country. Stand up and be counted. Which way do you
Democrat 40 59.70%
Republican 27 40.30%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Poll: Your tendencies vs unknown opponents

Playing vs unknown opponents is tricky because you basically have to play by the book and assume your opponent does too. Yet your unknown opponents very rarely play by the book but you have no idea how they differ from 'perfect poker'. So how you should vary your bluffing/valuebetting is not clear.

A good high stakes player once told me that when you're playing the first pot vs an unknown player you should try to play it very aggressively and try to win it. But this style obviously has high variance because you never know when your opponent is the biggest station or for some other reason thinks you are FOS.

I will use a somewhat simple example and the key is not to figure out the 'best play' because its an example where I don't think there is one optimal solution. Thus its more a gallup on how high variance or low variance people play.

2/4 6max. Its your first orbit on the table and you folded your blinds, button and cutoff. You are MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and you make a standard raise to 14$. Button calls you raise as does the big blind. Both have more than 150bb stacks.
Flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Big blind checks, you bet 40$(pot is 44$), button folds and the big blind calls.
Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Big blind checks again after a while. Your plan for the remainder of the hand is
Old 03-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Poll: Your tendencies vs unknown opponents

[ QUOTE ]
A good high stakes player once told me that when you're playing the first pot vs an unknown player you should try to play it very aggressively and try to win it. But this style obviously has high variance because you never know when your opponent is the biggest station or for some other reason thinks you are FOS.

[/ QUOTE ]
double-u tee eff mate???
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Poll: Your tendencies vs unknown opponents

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
double-u tee eff mate???

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part of this would you consider WTF-material?