Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Starting chips... make a difference?

So, I used to play the $11 HUSNG's (turbo i believe) on Party. The players were terrible there, obv. I think it had something to do with there not being any $5 SNG's or mabye not. Anyways, i won at about 65%70% and i think it has something to do with starting with 2000 chips. I've now been playing at other sites where you start with 1500 in chips and now i'm at about 50% after 80 or so games. Maybe i'm just playing bad or something but I really miss having 2000 starting chips and being able to play FAST (stars kills me how slow people play and how slow the sofware is). Do you think it makes a difference how many chips you start with?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Starting chips... make a difference?

This is no coinscidence... You are a good player and you like to see a lot of flops... What I would suggest is you do what my boy " livb112" did and STOP PLAYING TURBOS and play the regular normal sit n goes because the longer the games are the more impatient donkeys get hence they push with shiet. So if you want to make it in hu sit n goes you have to outlast your opponent but i see that you said " i hate how slow people are" well then hu sit n goes arent for you man.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 PM

thanks for the reply. I will definaly try to stop playing turbos. I can be patient when i need to. I think i just need to be more discipline. When i lost a couple of $10's in a row I moved up and played a few $50's and won all of them (probably not the smartest move). I think I'll try your advice though and play regular HUSNG's and mutitable with some full table SNG's so i don't get too stupid with my plays.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 PM

don't the part hu matches start with 20/40 blinds? or is it that they increase quickly and double instead of going to 15/30? either way, I beleive the 1500 starting chip structure is effectively deeper than the party one...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is no coinscidence... You are a good player and you like to see a lot of flops... What I would suggest is you do what my boy " livb112" did and STOP PLAYING TURBOS and play the regular normal sit n goes because the longer the games are the more impatient donkeys get hence they push with shiet. So if you want to make it in hu sit n goes you have to outlast your opponent but i see that you said " i hate how slow people are" well then hu sit n goes arent for you man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very bad advice. Your ROI and WR might go down a bit in turbo's, but you probably be able to obtain a higher $/hr. I would also suspect the competition in the turbo's be softer, since the fish would prefer this structure, but this is not a fact. There is also less rake in the turbo's.

That said, i have never played any turbo's on stars. But i just think you have to see it from both sides. It would be great if someone had some stats for both regs and turbos.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:04 PM

I actually find (having played lots of both) that the regulars are preferable - you may play slightly fewer per hour, but the increased win % from the slower structure more than offsets that.

For example, I win at around 58% at the Full Tilt turbos over around 500 games, and at around 65% at the regular games, and with much lower variance. In the turbos, when you are running bad (particularly if you can't win a race to save your life) you have no time to grind it out. In the regulars, if things aren't going you way you have plenty of time to turn it round before the blinds start eating you up.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:58 PM

Yeah, part of the problem I was having was not being able to win a race followed by the blinds going up quickly. I switched to regular games, won the last 6 out of 6 and didnt play much longer then the turbos. I know its a small sample size but I think i'm going to stick with the non turbos on stars.