Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey - what was going on in Amsterdam

[ QUOTE ]
people that think the netherlands is awesome are idiots

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the Netherlands rule tbh.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, British food has a reputation for being the worst in the world, but anyone who thinks this is even remotely true has never been to London

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Or are you really that dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, you can get exceptionally good food in London, but it's gonna cost you a ridiculous amount of money. If you look at the kind of grub that's on offer for the masses, that's going to perpetuate the stereotype. Benji, Pret a manger, pseudo-Italian tourist traps in the west end, bangers and mash from the pub, brick lane curries, etc.: I wouldn't feed a dog with any of that.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate their stinking food

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, British food has a reputation for being the worst in the world, but anyone who thinks this is even remotely true has never been to London

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to London regularly and it amazes me when people ask me about London how often they ask "is the food really as bad as they say?" As if the average American (or even person for that matter) even knows what really good food is. FOr anyone visiting London (except DN) i would reccomend this restaurant especially... http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/
Fergus Henderson is amazing.

As far as just standard middle of the road type restaurants in London go it is a huge multicultural city with everything you can imagine. The only exception is that all the mexican restaurants suck or at best are like a chi chi's which isn't a surprise.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, you can get exceptionally good food in London, but it's gonna cost you a ridiculous amount of money. If you look at the kind of grub that's on offer for the masses, that's going to perpetuate the stereotype. Benji, Pret a manger, pseudo-Italian tourist traps in the west end, bangers and mash from the pub, brick lane curries, etc.: I wouldn't feed a dog with any of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could say the same thing abut America... Sbarro, Dennys, Taco Bell, your average Greek Diner in any city i've lived. I eat in all those places occasionally (except sbarro which makes me wanna vomit) btw just making a point).
Old 10-13-2007, 02:01 PM

VINCENT: Yeah, it breaks down like this: it's legal to buy it, it's legal to
own it and, if you're the proprietor of a hash bar, it's legal to sell it. It's legal to carry it, which doesn't really matter 'cause -- get a load of this -- if the cops stop you, it's illegal for this to search you. Searching you is a right that the cops in Amsterdam don't have.

PHIL: That did it, man -- I'm f#ckin' goin', that's all there is to it.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 PM

this post has interesting and exciting implications
Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
London is like 10,000x better for hookers than Amsterdam - in terms of service, attractiveness of girls, and maybe even numbers now too. This is something that's changed in the last five years or so, and is connected with the large influx of people from Eastern Europe. Go to Amsterdam if you want fight your way through the drunks and drug dealers to have a quick, clinical experience with a window girl in her nasty little room which is more like being in hospital than a bedroom. Whereas in London there are thousands of beautiful Eastern European girls, the majority here of their own free will, who you can see for a nice slow screw in private apartments in the best parts of town. The only difference is to find them you have to look on websites, not in shop windows.

(A, er, friend told me all this).

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend is out of his mind :http://www.womenoftheworld.nl/index2.asp

the red light district is filled with eastern european girls
Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 PM

how did this post get onto food?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate their stinking food

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying I think it's the worst in the world -- just that it's a popularly held view. However, its a popularly held view that could be easily put to rest by sampling traditional Dutch cuisine.

Eating out is massively overpriced in the UK though, and the service stinks. And try eating out outside London some time. If you aren't eating Indian (or Indonesian in the Netherlands), 19 times out of 20, whatever you're served will be [censored]. In major cities, if you're lucky this might fall to a mere 9 times out of 10 though. In London, it's still somewhat haphazard unless you know where you're eating.

[ QUOTE ]
FOr anyone visiting London (except DN) i would reccomend this restaurant especially... http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/
Fergus Henderson is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the guy that was featured on one of Anthony Bourdain's food programmes? Serves a lot of offal, pigs dick, and other 'unusual' cuts. While it isn't normally my sort of thing, it definitely looked interesting.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:02 AM

When asked what was the most disgusting food he has ever ate, Anthony Bourdain said: "A chicken McNugget."