Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Mike Vick gets me thrown out of a bar in St. Louis

[ QUOTE ]
that freddy mercury thing is pretty LOL

i would have just asked him for a glass of water, like boris said, he doesn't have to fill up the dog bowl if he doesn't feel like it, but he should give you some water

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I mean if the bartender had said "I'll give you water. Fill the dogs bowl your own self" then that would have been good enough. But to be a total jerk like this (unless you were in a bar like Diks where they're supposed to be this way then he should be fired.)
Old 08-21-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all - Level? WTF? There was no level. If you take your dog to the bar don't expect the bartender to fill his doggy bowl? How is this not obvious? The standard move is ask for a glass of water and then pour the water into the doggy bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If I'm bartending there, I just give you a glass of water and silently fume about someone thinking it's my job to come from behind the bar and fill a dog's water bowl for the fourth time, let alone the first. It's a bar, not a kennel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask him for water for the bowl because they allow dogs and dog bowls in the first place. Also, I was handing him the bowl across the bar, so he didn't have to come out from behind the bar.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM

It would make me uncomfortable to have some guy make me fill up a dog water bowl, esp if he doesn't tip me at least a buck one of those times.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask him for water for the bowl because they allow dogs and dog bowls in the first place. Also, I was handing him the bowl across the bar, so he didn't have to come out from behind the bar.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is unreasonable to expect food service employees to handle items covered in dog slobber.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is unreasonable to expect food service employees to handle items covered in dog slobber.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't tell if Boris is on the level or not, but I agree with his point whether he's serious or not. Sure it's the bartender's job to serve, but I do think it's kind of condescending to ask him to fill a dog bowl. Particularly when you could just get a glass of water and do it yourself. He's there to serve the patrons, serving the dogs too seems kind of off-putting IMO.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM

People slobber is way worse and food service employees deal with that and worse every day. Besides, we don't know that the bowl was covered with slobber.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all - Level? WTF? There was no level. If you take your dog to the bar don't expect the bartender to fill his doggy bowl? How is this not obvious? The standard move is ask for a glass of water and then pour the water into the doggy bowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If I'm bartending there, I just give you a glass of water and silently fume about someone thinking it's my job to come from behind the bar and fill a dog's water bowl for the fourth time, let alone the first. It's a bar, not a kennel.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you're handing it to him and being nice about it, it's douchey of him to say no.

I will say, however, that I think bringing dogs to bars is, in itself, kind of a douchey move, even if they allow it. Everyone thinks their dog is the greatest thing ever, but to everyone else, it's mostly an impediment to getting drinks at the bar. Plus, how much do dogs like being in noisy, smokey-ass dungeons, I wonder. Kind of rude all around, IMO.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 AM

I find it hilarious people expect a bartender in a dive to care about the customers. They have to put up with all kinds of [censored] and their biggest tip of the night is probably $1. The rough-around-the-edges/apathetic bartender is part of the appeal of a dive. If you don't like it, drink somewhere else.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 AM

I've never even heard of dogs being allowed in bars. Where is the LDO-known-for-generations-dog-bar-etiquette coming from? Are you guys making it up on the spot? IMO, OP did nothing wrong here. He was polite and the bartender easily could have handed him a glass of water if he didn't want to touch the bowl. Instead, the bartender decided to be an ass, which is his prerogative in that sort of place, unfortunately for OP and the dog.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never been in another bar that allows dogs

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true.