Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Resume + Cover Letter?

I am trying to get a job as an assistant manager/head of security at a new club thats opening up in town. I want to type up a bit of a cover letter to lay out who I am and why I would be an asset but i dont want to break the one page rule because this isn't a horribly formal company/job.

Its not a great job or a huge company but I would really like it as it would be a step in the right direction. However, I am not sure that a cover letter would be appropraite or if the interview is my time to shine.

Thats another point. I dont have a formal scheduled interview, I have to earn that too. I pretty much already have a position as a bouncer, but whats my line to take it to the next level.

If you need more info ill be checking back while I pick up the house a bit.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Resume + Cover Letter?

Put a cover letter on it, make your points about why you are enthusiastic about the position and would be a good fit, be sure to keep it short and efficient.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Put a cover letter on it, make your points about why you are enthusiastic about the position and would be a good fit, be sure to keep it short and efficient.

[/ QUOTE ]
and make sure to check your spelling. There's nothing worse than a hired thug who can't spell.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
and make sure to check your spelling. There's nothing worse than a hired thug who can't spell.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

OP, if you're gonna do all this stuff, fine, but even more important is persistence in the way of follow-up. You've made it clear you don't have an "in", and be aware that one or several potential candidates will come referred to the owners/managers and I'm sure the restaurant business is even more referral-based than most industries. You can minimize your competitive disadvantage with phone calls, e-mails, stop-bys, etc. in order to make yourself known.

This is coming from someone outside the industry but is more common sense than anything. Maybe someone within the restaurant/club business can give you more specific help.