Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 07:56 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power
Default Re: Open question to Stars about real-time adviser apps

I do think something like this should be against TOS, but I think anyone who can gain significantly from this help would lack the basic knowledge to put their opponents on an accurate hand range.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It seems amazing to me that there are so few people are outwardly against this type of application, yet so many people are against bots.

[/ QUOTE ]

so true. should not be allowed in the first place, imho
Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do think something like this should be against TOS, but I think anyone who can gain significantly from this help would lack the basic knowledge to put their opponents on an accurate hand range.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only a matter of time before this is unnecessary and I also think the blunders made by being +/- 10% on their ranges will be much smaller than the blunders the fish make without any help at all.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 08:22 PM

You would never have time to use SNGPT during a game if you were multitabling, and probably wouldn't have time if you weren't.

All the good players multitable.

As well, you have to enter your own ranges and if you're not a good player, you're surely going to screw it up. Any good player isn't going to have to use this program during a SNG.

Therefore, I'm not particularly worried about it.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would never have time to use SNGPT during a game if you were multitabling, and probably wouldn't have time if you weren't.

All the good players multitable.

As well, you have to enter your own ranges and if you're not a good player, you're surely going to screw it up. Any good player isn't going to have to use this program during a SNG.

Therefore, I'm not particularly worried about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about if it used some OK, but not great generic opponent model (like is being used in SNGWiz)? It might not make them the best SNG players in the world, but it would save them from missing alot of the 0.5%+ pushes and also save them from making some of the -2% calls they would normally make.

Since your profit is always having to overcome the -9% ROI from the fee, then it doesn't take a huge amount of to kill the profitability of the games.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bot that makes decitions and a program that tells you wich buttons to press real time are virtually the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

A bot can play 1,234 tables at the same time while you're sleeping, working or having a candle light dinner. It's not a tool to help you play better - it's a malicious piece of software deviced to releave huge amounts of poker players of fractions of a percent of their EV - pretty much like the malicious piece of software employed some years ago by un-scrupulous arbitrage bank employees to siphon fractions of pennies from international financial transactions into their own accounts, building a wast forture in little time because of the enormous amount of transactions.

A tool that helps you play better is a tool and not a bot, whether it's a pen and paper, a spreadsheet, SNGPT or what have you - because in the end it's not the machine player - you're the one that playing.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 PM

This kind of software should absolutely be banned. I seriously just think that stars doesn't know what they have on their hands here.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM

Did you email stars?

I think we're all interested in the 'official' answer.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:33 PM

This sounds quite interesting.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 PM

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/prohibited/

"In general, what kind of programs are acceptable?

- Programs (or charts) that simply tell you odds, starting hand recommendations, etc.
- Programs that profile your opponents, but make use of only information which you have accumulated by your own play.

In general, what kinds of programs are prohibited?
- Any program that shares hole card data with other players or programs is colluding, and is prohibited.
- Any program that works off of a central database of player profiles is prohibited.
- Any program that plays without human intervention (a "bot") or reduces the requirement of a human playing. For instance, an "auto-folder" is prohibited."

Based on this, I think such a program would be allowed. Datamining allows you to gain information in games you have not played. Things like ICM and your proposed tool require that you use only information that you personally have observed - they are just fancy calculators. As others have indicated, if you enter garbage hand rankings, you get garbage ICM results.