Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Default How to play turbo 1/45\'s?

Hi, i just played a couple of 1$ 45-man turbo tournaments on pokerstars. Obviously, the all-in festival is easy, especially with a big stack, but how should i play in the early stages? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Should i see lots of flops? Or should i wait to exploit my (huge) edge later against the (minbetting, open-limping) donks when the pushbotting starts? A tournament like this becomes so much easier with a big start from the get go, but with 75bb's and blinds moving every 5 minutes, i just don't feel like i have much elbowroom to play poker.

How much should i be sacrafrising to get a big-ish stack early? Obviously, the donks are über loose so im willing to get it in with TPTK on the flop, JJ or AK preflop and so on, but what about hands like AJ, 88 etc.? On a loose table do you much these hands? Limp? or even raise? And what position do you do what in? Taking charge and bullying is not an option with 3 people in every raised pot and 5-6 people in every limped one. Do you try to flop big or do you preserve chips for later?

I know it's a lot of Q's in one topic, but if you guys could give me some answers to just some of them i would be very happy. Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: How to play turbo 1/45\'s?

This is a very tough situation to describe and give advice on really. Many players (who are knowledgeable and not just donking around with $1) play ABC poker. Wait for the hands (or as much of a hand as you can wait for) and then push push push, almost always getting paid off. I don't think you should be getting fancy here trying to exploit the donks, because it's very difficult to do so when you have 6-8 donks at your table and so on.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 AM

Yeah. That's kinda the idea i'm getting. I'll try it out.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 PM

Just play straightforward and push your edges. See some cheap flops from the CO or the Button in limped pots. But I wouldn't get to fancy and try to see a lot of flops. Straightfoward ABC poker is going to win the $. You will get a big stack when you get good cards early. When you don't get cards, you'll just have to wait until you become a pushbot. That's what happens in turbos.

Sherman
Old 11-03-2007, 12:52 PM

Okay thanks Sherman.

I think i have been bluffing the calling stations a bit to much in these ones. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:26 PM

I probably have one of the best win records in these things. Best advice is really to play a strong TAG game.

Also, value position, even when pushbotting.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Yeah that's what i've been doing in the last couple ones, works much better, thanks. Glad to recieve advice from someone with a good record in these things. :P

Now, since you've played 'em, you probably know a thing or two about bankroll management (when you practically don't have a bankroll). I currently have 170$. I'm playing turbo 1/45's turbo 2/36's (top 6 qualifies for the sunday hundred grand. Aka top 6 gets 11 T$), 1.5/18's and 1$ MTTs. Is my BRM to tight or to loose? Or does it fit? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Probably a little too tight, I think you could play a little higher, but play where you're comfortable, it's a lot better to play below your roll than above, especially if replacing your roll is not easy.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM

It fits fine really. I grinded the 1.10s till I got about 200, then started the 2.20s then when I got to 300 began the 3.25s.

My roll is over 1k now and I still play the 3.25s because I'm a huuuuge nit now, though.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It fits fine really. I grinded the 1.10s till I got about 200, then started the 2.20s then when I got to 300 began the 3.25s.

My roll is over 1k now and I still play the 3.25s because I'm a huuuuge nit now, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with that roll you could double your profits at the 6.50 45 man. I built my roll on the 3.25s by playing strong TAG, big hands almost always get paid off. Once I got to $1000 I moved to the 6.50s and the play is identical, just more $$$. Now at just over $1200 in roll moved to the $12 45 and 180 and, to my surprise, the play is no better than the 3.25s.

I guess my point is even with OP's limited roll if he is showing a profit at the $1 level he should move to the 3.25s and triple his profits. He has roughly 60x the buy in and for a winning player, even break even player, that is enough for the 3.25s.