Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who has so little value for another human being's life does not deserve to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just thought I'd bump this so it could get a little more love. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

I'm dissappointed this thread has gone in a different direction than I'd hoped. I guess I kind of suck at these things.

How about this. Does anyone agree/dissagree with the above statement? Is it a completely retarded statement? Why or why not? Is there any action a person can take against another human being/beings that they should deserve to lose their lives for? Is stuff of this nature is more appropriate for SMP?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
innocent people get killed by the death penality though, not just bad people.

[/ QUOTE ]

name one. there isnt a single documented case of an innocent person being executed. Even if there has been, how do you trade off that extremely rare happenstance versus the innocent lives that the guilty would have taken if not executed, and those innocen ts that would have died if not for the deterrent effect (most recently estimated as 72 innocent lives saved per execution).
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who has so little value for another human being's life does not deserve to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Just thought I'd bump this so it could get a little more love. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

I'm dissappointed this thread has gone in a different direction than I'd hoped. I guess I kind of suck at these things.

How about this. Does anyone agree/dissagree with the above statement? Is it a completely retarded statement? Why or why not? Is there any action a person can take against another human being/beings that they should deserve to lose their lives for? Is stuff of this nature is more appropriate for SMP?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are getting few responses to your question because the anti-death penalty crowd has no answer that is consistent with their stance. It is patently obvious that some people commit acts and would continue to commit acts that are so reprehensible that they dont deserve to live in a civilzed society.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and those innocen ts that would have died if not for the deterrent effect (most recently estimated as 72 innocent lives saved per execution).

[/ QUOTE ]

Source/link?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is patently obvious that some people commit acts and would continue to commit acts that are so reprehensible that they dont deserve to live in a civilzed society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not necessarily part of the anti-death penalty crowd, but that's what prison is for.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and those innocen ts that would have died if not for the deterrent effect (most recently estimated as 72 innocent lives saved per execution).

[/ QUOTE ]

Source/link?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, it was 74 per year

theres also a WSJ article but it is nearly identical and requires a subscription

"Roy Adler and Michael Summers, both professors at Pepperdine University, have analyzed the relationship between the number of U.S. executions by year and the number of murders in the year thereafter for 1979-2004. They relied on raw data supplied by the Death Penalty Information Center and the FBI"

"They have documented a relationship between capital punishment and the future rate of homicide. When executions leveled off, the professors found, murders increased. And when executions increased, the number of people murdered dropped off. In a year-by-year analysis, Adler and Summers found that each execution was associated with 74 fewer murders the following year. "
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is patently obvious that some people commit acts and would continue to commit acts that are so reprehensible that they dont deserve to live in a civilzed society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not necessarily part of the anti-death penalty crowd, but that's what prison is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree becuase even though they are removed from society, the criminal still gets to live. There are individuals that don't deserve to live out the rest of their days when they so callously denied that right to their victims.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, am I being leveled? It was quoted because I'm impressed with how succinctly hypocritical one earnest statement can be.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh, am I being leveled? It was quoted because I'm impressed with how succinctly hypocritical one earnest statement can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't realize you meant it in that way. Do you mind elaborating?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't realize you meant it in that way. Do you mind elaborating?

[/ QUOTE ]
Person A places such little value on Person B's life that he enables Person B's death. Money2Burn then places such little value on Person A's life that he enables Person A's death. Hilarity ensues.