Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: phill hellmuth and checking in the dark

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pros of taking a free card OOP are bigger than the cons. You're getting 4 cards for the price of 3 OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when Phil checks dark he will do it with an overpair like the 99. I just about LMAO when I saw that. So he's not putting Farha on any cards over a 9 and he couldn't be putting him on too many cards lower than a 9 either or else he makes those 2P, etc. Just a priceless Phil Hellmuth donk. And then he leaves himself no choice but to re-shove the turn and pray that Farha didn't really have anything. Sure, against Farha it probably is a good strategy but my god, you play cash poker like that and you won't last long.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the pros of taking a free card OOP are bigger than the cons. You're getting 4 cards for the price of 3 OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

But when Phil checks dark he will do it with an overpair like the 99. I just about LMAO when I saw that. So he's not putting Farha on any cards over a 9 and he couldn't be putting him on too many cards lower than a 9 either or else he makes those 2P, etc. Just a priceless Phil Hellmuth donk. And then he leaves himself no choice but to re-shove the turn and pray that Farha didn't really have anything. Sure, against Farha it probably is a good strategy but my god, you play cash poker like that and you won't last long.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, cause farha definetely couldnt raise a donk bet on the flop...

Your post was meaningless imo.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:55 PM

I've always thought checking in the dark is a fancy play done for no good reason. People I play with at the bar do it all the time. All it really does is take away one of your options. If someone calls you out of position and checks to you on the flop, you don't know if they hit it or not either, and could give the pfr a free card if he needed it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, cause farha definetely couldnt raise a donk bet on the flop...

Your post was meaningless imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote that in the context of this thread about dark checking.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM

It's appropriate in some situations...but Hellmuth waaaay overdoes it. I remember HSP season 1 ep 1 I believe Negreanu did it to Sheikhan after he raised huge pre flop. On the last show Benyamine did it after Antionio re raised him twice on the turn so he dark checked the river. Usually it's done because aggression is shown and maybe it will slow the aggressor down when he's already expected to bet without seeing the flop/next card.

Hellmuth does it so that no one takes it seriously lol. Spence is also correct on position.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM

i think it's equivalent to when online fish insta check the turn or something hoping that you don't bet big/bluff them..
Old 10-09-2007, 07:57 PM

By checking in the dark you are sacrificing an opportunity to deploy the most deadly weapon in a poker player's arsenal, The Donk Bet!

By checking in the dark you are sending a message to an opponent that says 'I am willfully foregoing my option of donking into you. Yes, that's right. I am so confident in my postflop abilities because I'm so much better than you, that I can do without this potent and deadly weapon!'

It is the epitome of psychological warfare. It is like tying one hand behind your back and challenging someone to a boxing match. If you know you're still going to win, than why the hell not?
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is the epitome of psychological warfare. It is like tying one hand behind your back and challenging someone to a boxing match. If you know you're still going to win, than why the hell not?

[/ QUOTE ]

And let's face it, Phil always knows he's going to win - because he's the best NL Hold'em player in the world. Just ask him, he'll tell you.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And let's face it, Phil always knows he's going to win - because he's the best NL Hold'em player in the world. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

... if there wasn’t luck involved. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol teh strong overpairs