Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Default The \"Real\" Ricky Zilem wasn\'t at the tables at Ballys

I have to defend the real Ricky Zilem's honor here (as far as I know the real Ricky Zilem may not even play poker). The player you saw on TV was not Ricky Zilem, but rather his cousin ("Chris", known in Dallas poker circles as "Smiling Chris") who played under Ricky's name and ID because Chris was a few months short of age 21 - After playing in the recently televised Ballys circuit event, "Ricky/Chris" won a bracelet at the $1,500 NL Bellagio Five Star Open Event in April. Rumor has it that someone ratted on "Ricky/Chris" and he has been barred from LV tournament play, including this year's WSOP events, although he is now "legal". He was able to keep his tournament bracelet and winnings ($130,000 because a deal was made when it got down to three handed). I've played with Chris in many local tournaments and he's a good guy, albeit a little foolish for pulling this stunt (I think he wanted to gain some experience and have some fun and didn't expect to do so well and get the spotlight focused on his tender a**). His "play" on TV is similar to his play at the local tourneys where he will gamble and either finish well or bust early. So, yes the criticism in the posts below is deserved, but should be directed at Smiling Chris and not his pseudo famous cousin Ricky.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: The \"Real\" Ricky Zilem wasn\'t at the tables at Ballys

That would explain why he was mentioned as "Ricky Zilem" on Pokerati. Do Ricky and Chris look that similar that this could've been pulled off?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:53 AM

have never met the real "Ricky", so can't say how much resemblance there is - Chris does attend (or I should say is enrolled at) Texas Tech in Lubbock, so that part of the story is correct
Old 07-27-2006, 11:49 AM

Does it really matter who he is. The noob on TV was horrible. He plays like it's play money. If he didn't luck box those 2 hands, he would have been quickly out. The AK, QJ, and KJ hands were all horrible played and he luck boxed 2 of them for a lot of chips.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:59 AM

Wow...what a moron. How the hell did he think he could get away with this in a televised 10K event? On the other hand, given how he plays, he's probably saved himself a couple hundred thousand dollars by getting banned from the tournament circuit.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM

How long is he banned from LV tournaments? Just this year?

That kind of sucks - didn't know they could punish him that way but I guess he's lucky he's keeping the prize money.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:22 PM

BS. The REAL Ricky Zilem WAS at the table at Bally's but is terribly embarrassed that he looked like an ass with his televised play, so he created a fictional character called “Smiling Chris” to take the heat off of him in the future. Let's be honest here.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

wow if this is true. LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 05:07 PM

the REAL Chris WAS at the table at Bally, using his cousin's "nom de plume" - actually, Chris is quite proud of his accomplishments, as well he should be - how many posters on this board sport a Bellagio bracelet, $130,000 in the bank in tourney winnings, and significant air time on ESPN?
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Whoever that guy was, he was a [censored] douche bag.