Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Learning limit O/8 and a hand

Due to some new high limit mixed games that are popping up in AC, I have decided to work on my limit O/8 game, since it is my weakest area. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get my game up to speed as fast as possible. My main game is stud high, and I am a big winner in the 40/80 stud games in AC, a small winner in the 75/150 games, and a small loser in the 150/300s games. I plan on just playing omaha as part of a 60/120 or 80/160 mixed game with a mix of very experienced hi/low players and a couple weak player who are used to playing stud high. The game is usually 4 to 8 handed.

My basic strategy has been to play tight pre flop (4 coordinated cards, or 3 coordinated card with an ace), and attempt to at least break even after the flop by not drawing to less than the nuts. The major problem I think have is that split pot games do not reward aggression as much as high only games, so I have been trying to tone down how much I semi-bluffs and thin value bets. I have read both the super system 2 section and the 2+2 book on O/8 and am currently practicing with low limits online. Any general strategy advise, especially from people who have gone from playing high only games to split pot games, would be appreciated.

Lastly, here is a hand I recently played. I suspect I should have raised on the flop to protect my vulnerable high hand and then folded on the turn or river since the low came in and the pot was three handed.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Omaha/8 (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (9.70 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.70 BB