Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Cycle of Debt: What are my options?

[ QUOTE ]

The 12k is spread over 4 card with interest rates from 9.9% to 14.99%. My minimum payments each month total about $250.

My credit probably sucks, because even though I'm never late, my cards are full except two totaling $2k are empty, and I have been denied for cards in past when attempting transfers.

(I also have $1k in ING for emergencies/bills and $1K on poker which I am grinding up from $50 since starting over with my bankroll)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your interest rates are not terrible. But, you should check your credit and find out why you get denied on transfer attempts. You probably have little history. But, check your credit for free to make sure there is nothing that needs cleaning up. You can do this by going here once a year as well as when you get denied credit. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Ideally you should try to find and qualify for some 0% balance transfer offers. I still get them almost daily. This will allow you to stop accruing interest and try to make headway.

If you can't qualify for 0% then the "snowball" option is next best.

1. Stop using all cards immediately.
2. Pay your bills with check/cash.
3. Pay as much as possible to the highest interest rate card. Any spare money should go to this. Pay the minimum on all others.
4. Once the first card is paid off, take the payment that you were making and pay the next highest rate card while continuing to pay the minimum on the rest. Rinse and repeat until paid off.

The key to paying off your credit cards is to STOP USING THEM. By paying the minimum, you literally will never pay them off.

I would keep the 1k for true emergencies. But, maybe take $500 of the bankroll and make a payment to the 14.99% card.