Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 PM

Default XBOX 360 as a DVD player

So I have a big new TV, but no DVD player. Does the XBOX do as good of a job as a good dvd player? I'm totally clueless about this stuff. I'm guessing it won't play burned dvd's?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:11 PM

Default Re: XBOX 360 as a DVD player

I use mine as a dvd player on my 32" lcd and I really have no issues. I've read that other ppl have had issues with the quality of the picture, but neither I nor my friends have had issues. In terms of burned dvds...I have played a lot of burned dvds on my player.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:24 PM

I used my old Xbox and my PS2 as a DVD player, and it killed both of them. The DVD drive is the mostly likely part of the hardware to die (since it's the only moving part other than the hard-drive), so you really don't want to stress it too much (unless you've got a really good replacement plan). Considering that you can get a good DVD player for <$100, I think it's worth it just to prolong the life of your $400 console.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:47 PM

I used my PS2 as my only DVD player for the whole 6 years i had it and have never had any issues.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:49 PM

Any of these will work for a regular DVD player. I assume since its a bigger new TV its now an HDtv or is it still analog?

For analog tvs any xbox360/xbox/ps2/ps3 will work fine. If you have an HD then you either want the xbox360 HDDVD add on unit or a ps3. Oh yeah, and component video cables for the HD signal.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Just because you have a HDTV you don't need to have a hddvd or a bluray. I would say most hdtv owners own neither, as most are waiting to find out how the format war works out...no one wants to get stuck with the betamax of dvds. Also most ppl are are not videophiles, and 480p is good enough.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:19 PM

Its an HDTV. I'm just looking for a good quality dvd signal. My old roommate used a ps2 as a dvd player forever, when he got a real dvd player the quality was noticeably better.

My last tv was about five years younger than me, so I suspect I'll be upgrading to HDDVD's or whatever in about five years.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My old roommate used a ps2 as a dvd player forever, when he got a real dvd player the quality was noticeably better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I assume netflix will rent blueray and HDdvds. What is likely what happened your roommate was playing DVDs on your ps2, but even though ps2 support games in progressive scan, I am betting it doesnt do it for DVD playback. When he switched to the other dvd player, it probably was progressive, so through your component video cables you got a display on the screen of 480p instead of 480i.

I am not sure if the new HD movies will be in 720 or 1080. Hope that info helps.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:35 AM

I used my XBox as a DVD player for 2 years. The drive burned out on me, I just replaced the DVD drive today actually, cost me $35 to do so, I figured a DVD player would cost around $50. Im hoping to get another 2 years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 AM

Well I picked one up, cause hey, why not? DVD's look good (not as good as TV though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img])

The kid talking me into buying gears of war as well, that [censored] is sick.