Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:20 AM

Default $6 NLTRN: Three dubious pushes

What does everyone think of these pushes? Are they all massive spews?

Hand 1:

My opponent started off kind of tight, but was loosening up on the flop, and starting calling my continuation bets. I decided to push the flop because I thought my hand was very vulnerable, and I wanted to take down the pot (which was 50% the size of my stack) right away. Did I overplay my hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (2 handed)

BB (t1850)
Hero (t1150)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t225</font>, BB calls t125.

Flop: (t450) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t925 (All-In)</font>, BB calls t925.

Hand 2:

This was the first hand of the match, against an unknown. Did I massively overplay my hand? As soon as I did this, I realized it was probably pretty stupid...the flop is dry, and I'm not sure what my opponent could've been 3-betting with if not an ace (in which case I'm almost surely beaten). So, tell me I'm an idiot and hopefully I won't do this again.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed)

Button (t1500)
Hero (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t40</font>, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t80) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t260</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1460</font>

Hand 3:

The raise to 330 looked to me like a hand that didn't want to see a flop (like a small-medium pocket pair), so I thought pushing would be +EV (since I think my opponent folds small-medium pocket pairs here a decent amount of the time).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed)

Hero (t1710)
Button (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Button calls t10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t330</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1710</font>
Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: $6 NLTRN: Three dubious pushes

All 3 hands are meh in my opinion. Hand one is a [censored] spot and I don't really like any of your options and therefore I think pushing is not too bad actually. If you are going to procede with hand 2 I like to check-call and act like I'm thinking at least a little bit on every street. I do this with a lot of TPWK hands if I think my opponent is capable of betting two ore more streets with a medium PP or middle pair (or bluffing of course). I dunno, perhaps this is a leak of mine. If he comes out really strong and the turn or river I might fold one of them. Not much value in raising in my opinion. Really depends on the opponent and therefore it's really hard to tell what he might have. Hand 3 is meh. I probably give him credit and fold to his 3bet but I get in this spot sometimes and I hate it. This can mean aces or a small pair or medium pair or broadway or some other random [censored]. Depends on reads and stuff.

Note: all advices are my humble opinion.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM

i like first hand; you may get extra valute though

i dislike second hand; strong hand here (which you are trying to represent) wouldnt 4bet, or 4bet much more. i'd fold after reraise

i quite dislike third hand: firstly, you neednt go crazy with these blinds; secondly your hand isnt so strong. but i see this move not so bad, with his reraise size i'd put him on medium pair 77-QQ (TT+ wouldnt probably fold there, though) or Aj-Ak, which trying to representing strenght, and which he may fold.
but again, we still have no reads to conclude whether his strange reraise is semibluff/bluff or just his style of play.

i prefer call and evaulate
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 AM

i dont like any of these hands...

shove hand 1

flat call 4bet on hand 2 and reevaluate turn

fold hand 3 preflop
Old 10-30-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. I knew these shoves were not so good, but I wanted to hear what people thought would be better.

Greg, do you mean to shove hand 1 PF? At the time, I thought my stack was a little too big for that, but now that I think about it, pushing PF seems like a good play.

I guess on hand 2, I was foolishly thinking that because he could play mid-pair + FD this way, that pushing was +EV (of course this is only one of many things he would play this way, and the rest of them beat me). I think I should've folded to the re-raise, as I have no idea how to continue on any turn.

Hand 3 I guess I should just fold PF to the raise unless I'm playing a real maniac. I think I forgot that the limp/raise can just as often be a large pocket pair looking for action as a hand that is afraid of a flop.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

shove hand 1

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree, standard shove (I didn't notice that the BB was 100 the first time I looked).
Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM

If I had held, say 55, would this still have been a standard PF shove in hand 1?
Old 10-30-2007, 02:26 PM

I think lowest I go is 66.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like any of these hands...

shove hand 1

flat call 4bet on hand 2 and reevaluate turn

fold hand 3 preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly what i was thinking.
i was almost thinking fold hand 2 to the 4bet but u really can't since it's only min. im not shoving over it though, thats for sure
Old 10-30-2007, 03:42 PM

Does anyone else not like raising hand 2 in the first place?