Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: DERB

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiousity, and I'm not trying to be a dick, have you ever played with this guy before? He does not play a +EV style. You're going to drive yourself nuts if you try to explain this run rationally.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't, and I don't think you're rude to ask. And even if I hunt him down and play with him one session ... that really doesn't give a full picture. I'll freely admit that I have FAR less online experience than most as I only started in the game in the last few months, however, even still, perhaps in my naivety, I'm not ruling out the possibility that he is more than just "lucky," especially since the known sample size is far more than a few sessions.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-05-2005, 12:20 AM

I make no claims about whether or not this individual is a winner, as Im a small stakes player and have never seem him play.

But... this is an interesting article about thinking outside the twoplustwo box.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:33 AM

Hey, stox and I discussed this at the Mets game tonight. He agrees with me now I think.
-James
Old 05-05-2005, 12:35 AM

That reminds me, wasn't it Ted Forrest that raised 93s UTG on the 300/600 at live at the bike?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make no claims about whether or not this individual is a winner, as Im a small stakes player and have never seem him play.

But... this is an interesting article about thinking outside the twoplustwo box.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have indeed jumped the gun and called einstein a heretic and imprisoned copernicus...im waiting till finals are over and taking the data to SAS...i wish i had many more controls to work with but we got what we have...maybe i'll be able to come up with some inventive numberical manipulations/compinations with what i have to proxy for what i want...

time will tell
-Barron

and im now willing to suspend beliefe on his play
Old 05-05-2005, 04:09 AM

Well thanks guys, after reading the post about this guy (and probably something in my brain snapping during finals) I've gone completely LAGtarded. And it's a hell of a lot of fun, and working pretty well (not completely stupid, playing my opponents and all that, just trying to see if I can match this guy's stats).

Maybe I'll report back after a while to see if this experiment works...or I'll just slink back into anonomynimity. Did I just make up a word?

Anyways, at least I'm having fun livening up a game that was getting much too ABC multitabling like a robot.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are many players who play loose and win in high limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you. At least if we're talking about 7 handed or more.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the better for me.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com
Old 05-05-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys are morons. J_V is saying this particular player can't win and that's a guarantee, not that someone with those stats can't win. Get off your high horses and come sit in the game and WATCH the guy before you go calling him ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, you're funny. Especially if you think the data is lying. Do me a favor and estimate his confidence interval before you go spouting off random macho crap. I haven't seen a single hand with any gross errors of play. Maybe if you could produce a bunch of hands where there were gross errors, I'd be more interested in your paradox theory. But as it stands, from the hands posted, it looks like he's a loose tenacious value bettor. Nothing so strange about that.

I play at that level and higher regularly, and there are tons of players who play over a third of their hands in a full game who win. If I haven't played against this particular player, then I've played on who is just like him. And yes, they take money from other players. Usually it's players like you who think they can't possibly win.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are your cliche "think outside the box" arguments just sound incredibly foolish to people that have logged a significant number of hands with this guy. You are being results oriented. Go back and read an old thread by ZeeJustin where he outlines "sharks" with a similar strategy. Hint: these "significant winners" all went bust inside a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can name a good dozen players who are loose, who beat the high limit online games, and who've been around for over two years. ZeeJustin (whoever that is) may be a smart fellow, but just because you see a few loose players go bust doesn't mean all loose players go bust.

[ QUOTE ]

A guy as smart as ZeeJustin is fooled by their short term results so I can understand why people are in this instance as well, but if you haven't played a lot with this guy then don't render judgments on a guy like J_V whom I know has logged significant hours with him.
Jesus.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Your appeal to authority is one of the most popular falacies in logic. Try thinking for yourself for a change.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com
Old 05-05-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You guys are morons. J_V is saying this particular player can't win and that's a guarantee, not that someone with those stats can't win. Get off your high horses and come sit in the game and WATCH the guy before you go calling him ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, you're funny. Especially if you think the data is lying. Do me a favor and estimate his confidence interval before you go spouting off random macho crap. I haven't seen a single hand with any gross errors of play. Maybe if you could produce a bunch of hands where there were gross errors, I'd be more interested in your paradox theory. But as it stands, from the hands posted, it looks like he's a loose tenacious value bettor. Nothing so strange about that.

I play at that level and higher regularly, and there are tons of players who play over a third of their hands in a full game who win. If I haven't played against this particular player, then I've played on who is just like him. And yes, they take money from other players. Usually it's players like you who think they can't possibly win.

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are your cliche "think outside the box" arguments just sound incredibly foolish to people that have logged a significant number of hands with this guy. You are being results oriented. Go back and read an old thread by ZeeJustin where he outlines "sharks" with a similar strategy. Hint: these "significant winners" all went bust inside a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can name a good dozen players who are loose, who beat the high limit online games, and who've been around for over two years. ZeeJustin (whoever that is) may be a smart fellow, but just because you see a few loose players go bust doesn't mean all loose players go bust.

[ QUOTE ]

A guy as smart as ZeeJustin is fooled by their short term results so I can understand why people are in this instance as well, but if you haven't played a lot with this guy then don't render judgments on a guy like J_V whom I know has logged significant hours with him.
Jesus.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Your appeal to authority is one of the most popular falacies in logic. Try thinking for yourself for a change.

- Andrew

www.pokerstove.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
theres nothing to learn...he plays like crap!! i've logged many hands with him and i'm just working w/ data right now to find out just how unlikely it is that he plays like that and wins.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

A good way to check this would be to do a cross-analsysis of stats with other players in the hands to check for any strange anomalies.

Though this may prove to be a prudent and difficult task if the players change accounts/names often enough to mask their collusion efforts (which by the way this truly does wreak of)

Lawrence