Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Stud-7 (How bad a play is this?)

8 seated ring. Player behind the Bring-In has a Queen showing and limps. I have split kings and decide to raise in middle position. Action comes around to the door-card queen player again, who re-raises ?

The first thought that went through my mind is he very probably limped with rolled up queens. However since all my Kings were live and I was not 100% sure, I called to see what would happen next. 4'th street paird the player's Queen door card and hence we all folded to him.

At this point the player showed his hand, which had burried aces before he mucked.

I'm still debating on this one. Limping with burried aces first to act at a rull ring? Is this a tactic many here think sound? I admit I'm not an EXPERT Stud player, but it seems flawed to me by giving numerous others cheaper odds to come in and break you. Again, this was using a limit structure, not Pot-Limit, so it seems more flawed to me the more I look at it.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Stud-7 (How bad a play is this?)

There are very few games I've been in where this would be a good idea. Doing it UTG is only a good idea if you are certain there will be a raise back to you so you can face opponents with two cold and shorten the field. If opponents won't fold to the raise, or if opponents won't raise into you from the end, then a limp has no utility.

Never say "never," and all that, but this seems like a bad idea almost always.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 AM

its a perfectly fine play especially if the game is very tight or very loose. tight and you may just get the antees. loose and you get action anyway and get more read on the hands.
if you raise alot with three flushes and three straights then you need to raise here. but most players only raise with their big pairs and give away their hands worrying that someone might get in too cheap.
that he showed -showed he isnt very astute.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM

Good point about showing his cards - obviously no upside to that.

If I had A-A-Q and was first to act with a K or A behind me, I would raise and hope that they reraise putting me on Q's. From here, this are several ways to play the hand out.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM

At the lower limit stud games (5/10 & below), you see players do this quite often & some doing it everytime they get a pair of J's or higher. Then, of course, they can't help themselves but to show you the buried big pair. IMO, really bad unless someone else behind you will raise it again.

Someone else mentioned using this play to force opponents to fold or call 2 bets cold. I don't think it works all that well in low limit stud because they aren't gonna fold anyway...at least not anything that resembles a good hand.