Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 PM

Default A Hand from Cardplayer that Phil Laak just played at the Legends

Unless Cardplayer got it wrong, is it ever right to fold here w/ 2 pair and 2nd nut flush draw?

From Card Player Mag:

T-R-I-V-I-A-L
After raises to $700 preflop and getting three callers, Phil Laak and his opponents check a flop of K-10-3 with one heart. The turn is the 9heart and Laak bets $2,000. One player folds and the other reraises to $6,000. Laak calls Card Player over and shows his hole cards, K <heart> 3<heart>. Laak spells out the word trivial, states that he feels his opponent turned a set of nines and mucks his hand. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Default Re: A Hand from Cardplayer that Phil Laak just played at the Legends

WSOP Discussion (the title will change shortly) is the place to discuss the hand.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 AM

well he's getting slightly over 2.5 to 1 pot odds to call, and he's slightly over a 3.5 to 1 dog to hit a flush or boat on the river. but you've got to consider implied odds and then that villain isn't really 100% to have trips.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:25 AM

How bout this hand, as per Pokerwire.

Jean-Robert Bellande raised to 1k from middle position and Paul Wasicka called from the button. The flop came A88 and both players checked. The turn came another A and Bellande bet 1.5k. Wasicka smooth called and the river came a J. Bellande bet 4.2k and Wasicka pushed in. Bellande folded showing an A for A's over 8's. When he made the fold Bellande told Wasicka, "This is the sickest lay down I've made in my life."

After the hand Wasicka told Bellande that he had AJ for the best full house.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless Cardplayer got it wrong, is it ever right to fold here w/ 2 pair and 2nd nut flush draw?

From Card Player Mag:

T-R-I-V-I-A-L
After raises to $700 preflop and getting three callers, Phil Laak and his opponents check a flop of K-10-3 with one heart. The turn is the 9heart and Laak bets $2,000. One player folds and the other reraises to $6,000. Laak calls Card Player over and shows his hole cards, K <heart> 3<heart>. Laak spells out the word trivial, states that he feels his opponent turned a set of nines and mucks his hand. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be useful to know the stack sizes. I'm asuming Laak was the original raiser, but either way, I can't see myself getting involved with K3s and then giving it up on the turn. Even with a strong read, I'd have a tough time not peeling off the river. Again, it sort of depends how deep they are.

Also, why is 99 more likely thatn QJ? Definitely not trivial.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It'd be useful to know the stack sizes. I'm asuming Laak was the original raiser, but either way, I can't see myself getting involved with K3s and then giving it up on the turn. Even with a strong read, I'd have a tough time not peeling off the river. Again, it sort of depends how deep they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably call this hand, but I can see a really good player laying this down IF the reraise was for a large portion of his stack. Laak has shown strength throughout the hand so I don't see the guy making the large reraise with anything that doesn't beat Phil's two pair.

On the Robert hand, the reraise by his opponent is pretty standard with any A. I don't necessarily think his comment that he help AJ is very relevant. Most of us would say this. If Robert could beat AAA88 then he is the one doing the large bet, so Paul could be fairly certain that he gets half of the pot at the minimum.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, why is 99 more likely thatn QJ? Definitely not trivial.

[/ QUOTE ]

odds are cardplayer messed at least one part of this hand up.

my guess is that the guy raised more than 6k or had too short of a stack to take one off against. if he was relatively short, raising 6k with only like 8k behind, it would make more sense to fold.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:31 AM

... this can't be true... if it is... laak was intoxicated in some way