Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 06:15 PM

Default New poll --- call, raise all-in, or fold?

I can think of valid options for all three options in this situation...

It is in the second hour (post-rebuy) of a Paradise $100k $30 rebuy tourney. You were just moved to a new table two hands ago. Blinds are 100/200 with a 25 ante. You have 7500 chips while the average stack is 8000. The first hand, you picked up QQ UTG+1. You raised to 600 and everybody folded. The second hand, you pick up TT UTG. You decide to limp this time since your second raise in as many hands might not garner respect. It is folded to MP, where a short-stacked player puts his final 1000 chips in the pot. This is folded to the BB, who has 14,000 chips and calls after thinking for awhile.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: New poll --- call, raise all-in, or fold?

Call.

Playing poker won't hurt anyone and with somebody allin you have to worry less about getting bluffed off the best hand.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:50 PM

Without knowing whether or not the new table will be broken up soon (if it is - my image is not all that important) - I voted for call because -
1) the original reason you limped
2) BB's failure to isolate with risk of playing the hand OOP to you may be a trap - or an attempt to bust a short stack with a somewhat weak hand without risking too many chips. Since you have no reads you probably want to take a flop and find out which.
3) You are closing the action.
4) As mentiond before you won't face as much CB's and bluffs in a dry-side pot, easier to figure out where you stand.

FOLD - why fold a hand that may get paid big if you flop a set - and on a whole number of other flops you may be able to get the BB to fold and get HU with the MP?

Push - I do not like it. You will get called by hands that are ahead most of the time (QQ+, MAYBE AKs). I'm still not sure why BB flat called. And I HATE playing back at a bigger stack that has already VOLUNTARILY put money in the pot.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 PM

I voted push. The caller probably has AK-AJ or KQ-KJ. Just put your chips in now, while you still have a stack and can push the other person out.

C-Dog
Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 AM

i could call or push here, BB's call could easily be something worthless or something really really strong and inviting others to come in hence the calling.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Re-raising all in will probably get me heads up, but calling to see the flop may result in a much larger pot if I hit a 10 or have an overpair to the board. I think at this stage, I probably call to see what happens.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Call as I don't have enough info to work out why they've flat called the all-in. I may have the best hand I may not, lets see what the BB does on the flop and play it from there.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:25 PM

In this particular case, I did raise all-in and the BB called my all-in bet --- I was a favorite, but he won the pot.

In retrospect, my thinking was, this early on, is it better to call and play poker with position, rather than make the all-in which, due to my original limp, might be taken as a large range of hands (I am sure he read it as a medium pair, and he had odds to call against a medium pair).