Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Steve Badger\'s advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gimme this cracker HU

[/ QUOTE ] I do not even play heads up!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he's referring to Badger. I could be wrong but he plays slightly higher stakes than you, so probably not gunning for you.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guarantee you 100% that I could play you or anyone else who advocates that particular style of play out of position every hand and still be a signifigant winner.

Position is very important in PLO but to make it the be all and end all of your playing style will get you breaking even to the rake very very quickly.

Play real money for 40k hands and see how well you do. I'm guessing at best, unless you run really hot, you'll make about 2BB/100 at any level 0.50/1 or higher. I'm not going to add anything more to this useless thread.

[/ QUOTE ] As the moderator once suggested in one of his replies, this is meant to be a discussion of various styles, not really a competition of various posters. But having you said what you have said, I think IT IS ON! (but let us start play money) I know it will be impossible to bluff and we will meet idiots who turn this into lotto but I now REALLY want to try at you 10-handed, PartyPoker - search for stubbornman
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 AM

Tell you what. Deposit like $200 or whatever on stars, play micros until you have like 4K, then I will play you HU at 0.50/1 or 1/2 as long as you want. Unless you want to pay me $200 an hour for coaching I am not ever gonna play play money for any reason.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you want to pay me $200 an hour for coaching I am not ever gonna play play money for any reason.

[/ QUOTE ] Do you coach anyone registered on 2+2 for $200/hr?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Surley Badger's advice must be taken probabilistically. I have played in deep stacked(200B+) games where such advice would apply at a given time. It might later not apply when certain players go on tilt. Really great hands in combination with bad players can render this advice moot. Position is merely one of the things which can affect the value of a hand.

It is not as applicable to typical online 6-max, but asserting your own postulate that "I can always play profitably out of postion" is just as bad as that which Badger did. Your position is merely "fittest" to the current form of the game. Beware such a position as in ten years it will be your name that will be posted and subject to villification.

In online 6-max there are not as many people to act after you and the magnitude of the consequences(decided by stack size) is not the same. Often online you may have a deep stack, but the majority of your opponents(as well as those of greatest consequence do not). Thinking that your own advice is that for the "normal" version of the game is a road to fallcay. The game changes, and the applicability of your advice will as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM

The difference being that I'm not posting a strategy website selling an outdated product. In ten years I'm sure my playing style will change as the games change.

As I stated in a previous post, I think Badger's advice is good for a beginning player trying to learn the game while not going broke.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My life at 6-max:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wowowow. I'm +BB/100 in every position except both the blinds. I'm probably tighter in the blinds than the average person and don't really like to defend because I'm out of position. After seeing your numbers, I'm reconsidering the whole blind thing.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, 15-20% was an understatement, because I figured that's the minimum that good players would play from EP. I play more like 22% or 23%. If you want a list of some hands I've played UTG in a FR game, here you go:

KK63, AKQ9, AKQT, TT86, T986, KKQ5, 9885, KQJT, KJT9.

Those are all hands I've played recently from UTG. The 9885 might be a little sketchy, and the AKQ9 would probably need suits to be playable, but in general all those kind of hands would be OK as would some low runs like 7654.

[/ QUOTE ] See, I would play all those hands for a small raise OOP. And from Badger's article, I reckon he would too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Position is merely one of the things which can affect the value of a hand.

[/ QUOTE ] But would you agree that it is THE most important thing which can affect the value of a hand?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:04 PM

No. The strength of the hand IS the value of the hand.