Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:32 AM

Default Any good pot limit holdem books?

I have become quite interested in learning pot limit hold'em. It might have the best of both worlds and really be where the best players are. Are there any good books on pot limit hold'em, or do you have to take a little from limit and no limit to learn to play well. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Any good pot limit holdem books?

The game doesn't play anything like limit.

The only two books on the subject that I know of are Pot Limit & No Limit Poker and How Good Is Your Pot Limit Hold'em?.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 AM

The Reuben and Ciaffone book is a great introduction to the concepts necessary for Pot Limit play, and I recommend it. Its only "fault" is that it covers other games and does not focus exclusively on Hold 'em.

Professional No-Limit Hold 'em Volume 1 by Flynn, Mehta & Miller is written for NL, but I believe their approach would serve very well for PL. Seems like there's only two lines in the book that wouldn't apply to Pot Limit games.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have become quite interested in learning pot limit hold'em. It might have the best of both worlds and really be where the best players are. Are there any good books on pot limit hold'em, or do you have to take a little from limit and no limit to learn to play well. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pot limit plays much more like no limit than limit. Ciaffone and Reuben are the only authors I know of who address it well, although I suppose the Cloutier/McEvoy book talks about it too.

I play a lot of pot limit. In live games, the action is better at pot limit than no limit. More people usually see the flop. And because there is a limit on the betting, more people usually bet full pot at pot limit than they do at no limit, where you often see a lot of 2/3rds pot bets.

Because you can't go all-in unless the pot is bigger than your stack, there can be more betting rounds available in pot limit than the same hand scenario would experience at no limit. As such, there is more information available. This benefits the better players who can read hands well. It also benefits the player in position.

Out of position at no limit, you can bet or check-raise all in on the flop with a draw for example, and get rid of your positional disadvantage. At pot limit with a drawing hand out of position, there will usually be chips left on 4th street, and you are forced to play out of position for another round.

Tight in front, loose in back is a winning style in both pot limit and no limit, although I think you have to play tighter in front at pot limit than no limit because of the lack of an all-in coup on the flop.

These are some random thoughts. Before you start to play seriosly, read the PLNLP and HGIPLH books.