Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Default Re: NYC Poker Robbery and Shooting

Hello everyone I was at the robbery i was on the floor and did not see anything but when the robbers fled another man and myself stayed and did cpr we tried our best Frank was alive for a few minutes. he died in my hands today i went to the wake and a doctor there told me no matter what we did he would not have made it because of the nature of the wound. the reason i am posting this is because the other man who selflesly stayed behind to help save this mans life kept questiong himself if we would have done something different would Frank have survived well to that very good man. you can sleep well we could not have saved him but you gave it a gallant try i was with you your acctions were exemplary during a real bad situation. you showed a lot of humanity thanx
Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 AM

Thanks for your effort. A Very Moving Post.

I knew Frank from the old Mayfair Club and Playstation. I hadnt seen him in several years until this past summer when I heard about the new clubs in New York. They wouldnt let me in unless I knew someone. I waited down below and ran into Frank. We ended up chatting for quite some time and had a pleasant conversation.

When I heard about the shooting and then found out it was Frank, I couldnt believe it. He was one of the few Gentlemen I knew from these places, a super nice and friendly individual. Condolences to his family. Frank will be missed.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Comic, thanks for your post. I'm glad someone was there with him trying to help. It must have been heartbreaking for you but you and the other man clearly did your best. Thank you. I was talking to another guy in poker who knew Frank and we were sharing some memories, and he said he thought that Frank must just have been needed in heaven for something. I am not a believer and so couldn't share that solace, but I understood he was trying to make sense of the death of truly decent person. Your story reminds me that there are other decent people out there, and you and your friend are two of them.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 AM

fukin A, life is precious. May you rest in peace Frank~

btw, drug/violent crime sentences from the early 90's are being released around this time. gang violence like this is shooting up in NYC...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 AM

I am not a member of NYC's poker community. I am a family friend of Frank DeSena. First I want to say how moved Frank's family and friends have been by many of your posts offering condolences and memeories of Frank. Secondly, I want to commend the moderators of this forum, particularly TT for your professionalism and sensitivity- If only I could say the say about the media. Thanks also to Frank's poker friends who showed up at the wake yesterday. You are of course welcome to the funeral today.

Frank's wife and son are holding up as well as can be expected. They are surrounded by many people who love them.
I wanted to share a little bit about Frank that you folks wouldn't know. The one thing I want to say about him is that he had a remarkable youthful spirit and imagination. This made him a favorite of the children in our circle of friends. Once, while on a vacation on a farm with another family, he lightened up what may have been an unpleasant experience. The cabin was hot and filled with thousands of flys. Frank made a game out of hunting the flys with the child and giving them a proper burial in the garbage can while humming taps. He was constantly playing and roughhousing with the kids- they saw him as another kid. Once a child was told it was time to go to bed and she cried "Why? Frank gets to stay up!"

So this is the Frank we knew, the kind, gentle soul who was loved by us and our children.

In closing, let me say to all of you to be careful while pursuing your passion of poker. Stay alert, treat each other well, and most of all stay safe.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:08 AM

Couldn't help but be moved to tears by that. Thank you for sharing that with us. I didn't know Frank but my thoughts are with those that did.

Man, I never went to this place but it's only a few blocks from where I live. Really scary.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Rest in peace, Frank.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A new club that had just opened to replace a recently closed NYC club got robbed tonight. One player was shot. The shooting victim's condition is unknown at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robbery is what I fear most about playing in an illegal poker room.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A new club that had just opened to replace a recently closed NYC club got robbed tonight. One player was shot. The shooting victim's condition is unknown at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robbery is what I fear most about playing in an illegal poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it the next time you're invited to a home game.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 AM

this really is tragic.

it's completely awful for his family- it truly is an amazing thing how many great things have been said about this man in this thread. It's beyond rare that you find someone genuinely cared for by everyone with an amazing demeanor in a highly stressful and brutal game. He was apparently a man of inescapable kindness and will be missed forever by anyone who was ever in contact with him.

rip bub.