Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Debate with friend about how a hand was played

A friend and myself are debating the way he played the hand below. I do not have reads available on the players. My friend feels like he played the hand perfectly to get maximum value. I feel like he should have been betting more to make people pay for their draws. He says he wants to see mathmatical proof that his method was less profitable.
Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Friend is MP3 with 7 of clubs 7 of spades:.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Friend calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Friend checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, Friend calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Friend checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Friend raises</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (9.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Friend bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Friend calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Debate with friend about how a hand was played

Old 10-17-2007, 01:08 AM

I love BB's raise at the end.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 AM

well first I raise preflop opening with 77 from late middle position. I want to close out the action if possible and don't want co or dealer to play with the average range of hands.

as played I then bet/3 bet the flop, bet 3bet the turn and bet/call the river.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 AM

It will always be a one sided debate in the micros if you slow play a set on the flop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He says he wants to see mathmatical proof that his method was less profitable

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend needs to consider what happens when
- the turn gets checked through once he checkraises.
- someone who bets is able to fold when checkraised or can fold the river when he wiffs
- BB is forced to fold instead of calling one bet at a time to a runner flush.

I hate to break it to you but his play preflop is poor(open limping in MP is very rarely a good idea and hint: he doesnt have control of the hand and a decent/laggy player will raise him and force him to fold when he doesnt hit a set or make him pay dearly to see SD) and his postflop play is rather standard for non-2+2ers who do this everytime they flop good. One reason I like betting right out with flopped sets is that fish never suspect thats what I have because they wouldnt play a set fast and dont expect me to either...so they call down or raise me and I profit.

if your friend wants to get better at poker he should signup and get educated/berated right here in the micros. We preach somewhat tough love in the micros but it will make him a better player if he is prepared to listen to teh advice given

ozi
Old 10-17-2007, 01:32 AM

First he open-limps 77 from the hijack. Then he slowplays a set so he can maximize his opponents chances of sucking out. Brilliant. (apologies for not having the talent for beration that boz does but I'm tired tonight).

Late edit: the reason his pre-flop play is not good is because he deliberately setting up a situation where he will not have the best position (it's doubtful CO and button will both fold) and where he'll have just enough opponents where 77 is not likely to win and he won't have the implied odds for hitting a set. You want to raise that up from the hijack and get the hand heads up where 77 is a very nice hand. The way he played it most of the time overcards will flop and he'll have to get off the hand. If he raises it preflop and then leads the flop his remaining opponents may very well think he's c-betting with overs and really pay him off.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend and myself are debating the way he played the hand below.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's no longer your friend. He's dead to you.

[ QUOTE ]
He says he wants to see mathmatical proof that his method was less profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, show it to him. What are you posting this dogshit hand here for?

(fwiw, IN THIS HAND his line may be equally profitable to playing it properly, as apparently this was from a home game in some sort of ward when the guards...er, "nurses"...weren't looking. The point you need to make to him is that this line is not the most profitable against non-monkeydicks.)

Edit: howzat, Sensei?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He says he wants to see mathmatical proof that his method was less profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

The appropriate response is for him to give a mathematical proof that his way is more profitable.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 AM

lol.. this hand is brutally played!