Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Dealers commenting about my play.

I was wondering what most people's reaction to the following situations are:

1) I 3-bet a raise and bet every street. At showdown the dealer whispers "Aces" and I turn over Kings. He says "well I was close."

2) I raise on the button with xx. both blinds call and call me down after I turn the nut straight. Dealer says "Aces" and then when I turn over my hand that is obviously not aces exclaims "Oh my god! What an awesome hand! Seriously that was awesome. I never put you on that." And sends me the pot.

3) There is a raise, a 3-bet, I audibly groan and fold. After the hand someone asks "what'd you have? AKo?" I'm not even listening but nod. Dealer says to him "No way he folded AK, he would've capped."

These were all different dealers and while yes, I have much experience playing while each was in the box, I was a little surprised to hear such direct personal comments.

Anyone else have experience with this?
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Dealers commenting about my play.

1) Is not such a problem, he says it at showdown and even then whispers it. He doesnt effect your action.

2) I guess he says this at showdown, again he didnt effect your action. If anything he is alienating himself from other players, as it seems like he is rooting for you.

3) Is out of line. He is giving 'strategy advice' to others, thus effecting your action.

BTW dealer in hand 2 sounds simple.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM

It doesn't sound like they're trying to antagonize you, or give the other players a read on how you play. More likely they're just being friendly and commenting that when you bet/raise you seem to have the goods.

While some might make a stink, call the floor, and vow never to tip again, I think a light-hearted, "Awwww, c'mon. Don't give away all my secrets" usually gets the point across. If they repeat the offense, then a sterner warning might be necessary.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM

Jay - each of these dealers know you, and you know them. Pull them aside after and explain your POV - problem solved.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm surprised it happened once.

Its fairly outrageous in that it could wake up the table to your tendencies. That being said, I would guess that the dealers are not doing it maliciously but either want your approval for some reason or want to show you that they are smart.

Either way I would do what TT suggests, i.e. talking to them privately. I would also try to make the conversation as friendly as possible so as not to antogonize the dealers as you may need their unbiased help at some point.

If it persists after your conversations, then I would get the Floor involved.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 PM

They're bored as sin and trying to hold back laughter at the fish play they've seen all night. They probably recognize you as a solid player who shows down good hands and thus are trying to alleviate misery by making conversation. Nothing to get in a twist about, it's not hurting your game.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I 3-bet a raise and bet every street. At showdown the dealer whispers "Aces" and I turn over Kings. He says "well I was close."

[/ QUOTE ]

If you consider this to be a "direct personal" comment, then I have concerns about your actual personal relationships.

[ QUOTE ]
2) I raise on the button with xx. both blinds call and call me down after I turn the nut straight. Dealer says "Aces" and then when I turn over my hand that is obviously not aces exclaims "Oh my god! What an awesome hand! Seriously that was awesome. I never put you on that." And sends me the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. And sending you the pot? Clearly over-the-line personal.

[ QUOTE ]
3) There is a raise, a 3-bet, I audibly groan and fold. After the hand someone asks "what'd you have? AKo?" I'm not even listening but nod. Dealer says to him "No way he folded AK, he would've capped."

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer has no business making any such comment here. Actually, I could have cut you a little slack on #2, because technically the dealer kinda sorta gave away a little opinion, that you'd play aces that way. But that's no biggy. This one, while not really a big deal, is clearly just telling people how you'd play your cards, which is wrong.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesnt effect your action.

he didnt effect your action.

thus effecting your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but does he affect his action?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:11 PM

I had a situation like this come up, 6/12 game with a 1/2 kill (I know, wierdest game ever). I'm just running over the table as they are all tight old guys and drunks that don't play limit (It was 4AM and no NL games were going). A new player sits down at the table and asks the dealer "how's he been playing" referring to me as I was the big stack. Dealer replies with "He's been playing everyone like a fiddle". At that point everyone at the table looks at me for about 3 seconds (but it felt like 5 minutes) and all I can do is smile while inside I wanted to punch the dealer right in his mouth. Of course after that comment everyone started to get super aggro with me and I had to change my play a little bit, but my point is no one would have noticed anything if the dealer hadn't said anything.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM

There are 3 ways to deal with this.

1. Explain to the dealer that you would appreciate if he not give other players information on your playing style
2. Playfully say "one player to a hand" and he/she should get the idea. This is a decent nonconfrontational approach.
3. Talk to the floor when you are away from the table, and make sure they agree to speak with the dealer that his chatter is very inappropriate.

#3 is prob your best bet. Dealers should know to NEVER do this. options #1 and #2 will prob result in the dealer not doing it with you, but really, the dealer shouldn't do it with ANYONE.