Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM

Default New kill game rule at WinStar=horrible

Last night a few players at my table convinced everyone to up the game from a normal 4/8 to a 4/8 with half kill. We played one down with a dealer who allowed the person with the kill button to last act on all streets, the way it's supposed to be. Well the next dealer came and sat down and immediately said that this was wrong. Disagreement insued and the floor was called over who said that the kill person must act in turn which defeats the purpose of them posting the kill and eliminates the edge that having the kill button comes with. Needless to say, I'm finding it hard to see the benefits of playing in kill games now.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: New kill game rule at WinStar=horrible

[ QUOTE ]
We played one down with a dealer who allowed the person with the kill button to last act on all streets, the way it's supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen this before. How does it even work? If the kill button re-opens the betting, does the action go back to the SB?

Kill games where the kill button acts in turn are very common and the way I've seen it at lots of different card rooms.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night a few players at my table convinced everyone to up the game from a normal 4/8 to a 4/8 with half kill. We played one down with a dealer who allowed the person with the kill button to last act on all streets, the way it's supposed to be. Well the next dealer came and sat down and immediately said that this was wrong. Disagreement insued and the floor was called over who said that the kill person must act in turn which defeats the purpose of them posting the kill and eliminates the edge that having the kill button comes with. Needless to say, I'm finding it hard to see the benefits of playing in kill games now.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's how it is at Hawaiian Gardens in LA which sucks but were used to it
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 PM

In almost all kill games the killer acts last before the flop, unless there is a raise, in which case the killer acts in turn. I've never once seen or heard of a game where the killer acts last on every street. Such a rule would give the killer a collosal advantage and drastically change the strategy in many situations. I'm not sure why you seem to think this is standard, because it's not.

Al
Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 PM

At Foxwoods the kill acts in turn at all times. The mere existance of a kill is complicated enough for a lot of players.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 PM

In some kill games the killer goes last preflop, in some in turn. I have never heard of a kill button affecting anything postflop before.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 PM

Last time I played a kill game at Winstar, kill was last to act preflop but in turn the rest of the time. I *think* I've also seen kill acting in turn preflop, but it's been a long long time (and it was at Winstar).
Old 09-12-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In some kill games the killer goes last preflop, in some in turn. I have never heard of a kill button affecting anything postflop before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the same for me as well. I've seen the kill act last preflop, but nothing changes post-flop from a regular pot (other than the stakes, of course).
Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 AM

Look at the bright side. At least their dealers are inconsistent.

And FTR, in most games the kill acts in turn, and the kill isn't in place to give the kill an advantage, it's in place to increase action.

-Tex
Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 AM

The last time I played at the Winstar, we voted the kill off the table after 30 minutes because nobody could agree how it worked.

Btw, in 50 years of playing, I've never seen a kill act last on all streets unless he was the button.